All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46
 Post subject: Re: Don's AP Project
PostPosted: Dec 18th, '16, 06:46 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: grudgingly
Ha, nice! There's something oddly satisfying about salvaging a plant that way.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 18th, '16, 23:07 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
So very cool when you can yank one and poke it in the GB, but holy cow, 75 more peppers?!! That is outstanding! Your system must be in tip-top condition. I didn't have anywhere near that off of the 20 or so I have transplanted, I mean it was good enough, but wow; 75!

PostPosted: Dec 19th, '16, 00:55 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
Growing Peppers are easy. They are really a Perinneal plant from S. America but are considered a Annual in N. America.

But if you have a GH, you can get them to grow year round.

Think of growing them as the same as a person growing Bonsai plants.

You want to get height, let them grow by themselves and they get tall.

You want more peppers per plant give them a pruning once every so often

The more times you prune the terminal buds, the more side shoots you will grow which in turn produces more peppers.
But at the same time remember that Peppers and Tomato's are heavy feeders of Phosphorus.

Case in point is a farmer I know that grows Okra, they grow like peppers, straight up with very little side branching.

So he gets the plants up to 2.5' tall and then prunes them with a Sickle bar at 2' height, and increases the side branching which increase the pods per plant. Another Sickle bar pruning at 3.5' to 3', at about 3/4 of the growing season, he has switched from a Sickle bar to a Brush hog for pruning.

So remember give those plants that respond to a top pruning, a chance to give you more fruit.

I, know it hurts to do it but that's life.

PostPosted: Dec 19th, '16, 05:46 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: Some times I wonder
yes it felt pretty good to save the pepper plant and I have done others the same way. I learned I could do it by accident. When some plants were pulled that were looking like they had had it were left on the beds and not carried away they recovered. My tomatoes always want to keep going and when they lay a vine on the bed they grow more roots out of the stems. Tomatoes will keep going in the green house for years.

My father lived in Bremerton washington area in very good soil area. He always said if he pulled weeds and did not hang them on the fence to dry out they would be standing in the garden the next day again. I wish I had his soil here on my place. I do a lot to ammend the soil and it still does not do well. The PH makes the AP garden not do so well as it could also.,

My system thread
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9505

PostPosted: Dec 19th, '16, 09:56 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
donone wrote:
My father lived in Bremerton washington area in very good soil area. He always said if he pulled weeds and did not hang them on the fence to dry out they would be standing in the garden the next day again. I wish I had his soil here on my place. I do a lot to ammend the soil and it still does not do well. The PH makes the AP garden not do so well as it could also.,

The American Indians use to bury a whole fish and then plant corn, Have you tried that.

Don't see what your Dad had that you can't have the same. It depends on what you are using to amend your soil and the steps you are using to do it.

Have you had a Soil sample tested?

How about your Well water tested?

And your AP water tested?

And I'm not talking going to a pet store, or using a test kit at home, I'm talking about tests done by a reliable labs that the farmers in your area use. It'll cost you, but in the long run your better off.

PostPosted: Dec 20th, '16, 14:53 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Old Prospector wrote:
donone wrote:
My father lived in Bremerton washington area in very good soil area. He always said if he pulled weeds and did not hang them on the fence to dry out they would be standing in the garden the next day again. I wish I had his soil here on my place. I do a lot to amend the soil and it still does not do well. The PH makes the AP garden not do so well as it could also.,

The American Indians use to bury a whole fish and then plant corn, Have you tried that.

We did that last year for the corn plants and it did not work. We are doing it with the cucumbers that are just getting started now. Maybe 2 feet tall. Hope this cold spell don't get too them. It is hard to keep the garden above 40 when the temp goes to 5 degrees.

Don't see what your Dad had that you can't have the same. It depends on what you are using to amend your soil and the steps you are using to do it.
His was natural. He lived by a small stream from a forest of old growth trees. It had been there a long time. The soil was nearly black with goodies all through 3 or 4 feet deep he had dug up and more.

Have you had a Soil sample tested?
We have sent soil to the University or Arkansas about 10 times and added their recommendation. I save my grass clippings and all the tree leaves that blow around and the mulch pile I make from all the food and garden leftovers. Everything but meat scraps. When I clean the chicken and guinea house flower I mix that in also.

How about your Well water tested?
I have a dozen water tests. I have done all the usual AP water tests. I sent off water to a water filter company and got a iron removal filter for the house but not for the AP garden. Iron is way too high. Iron should be less than 0.08 but my well water is 3.5 units, After my sand filter the water is 2.5 so I bought the iron filter and it gets to 0.03 but is $70.00 for about 30,000 gallons of water flow. I am now using water from outdoor pond as it is mostly rain water and the PH is low till the rain stops for a while. Then it goes up a lot too. PH 8.6 or more.

And your AP water tested?
Yeah. It cost a lot at $17 a pop to actually find out the county test lab will only tell you if the water is contaminated by human or animal feces and nothing else that might scare the public.

Maybe you already know that chicken growers add arsenic to the baby chicken feed to make them grow faster. That can get passed off to the water runoff and they wont tell anyone how much is in the water downstream. I think I have some in my water but cant prove it. I have not found out how to test for poisons and heavy metals.

And I'm not talking going to a pet store, or using a test kit at home, I'm talking about tests done by a reliable labs that the farmers in your area use. It'll cost you, but in the long run your better off.

My system thread

PostPosted: Jan 28th, '17, 02:12 
Legend Member
Legend Member

My wife wants to do a sphagnum moss experiment to try to get the PH to go down and I am going to try it. Just put in a bag of sphagnum moss in a bag in the water and an air bubblier in it to keep the water around it circulating. I hope this works because if it does not I might give up. Stuff just does not do well in 8.6 PH. It even influences the taste to me. I cleaned up my air pump again and am going to put it in my top up water tank to air up the water there to see it that will help also.
Actually I think I probably have plenty of O2 in the water as each of the 48 barrels has a splashy drain into the drain lines. There are 4 main drains along the beds that drain into the Fish Tank with a splashy return there of about 12 - 18" while the beds are being filled. The pump runs 24/7 so when it is not filling the beds it creates a whirlpool effect in the Fish Tank. The drains are arranged so they help the whirlpool effect also. The water is never still. I don't think I am feeding too much as they viciously attack the food when it is put in. More like Trout than Catfish.

My system thread

PostPosted: Jan 28th, '17, 03:14 
A posting God
A posting God

Oh so cool. For certain keep us abreast of the Sphagnum moss experiment. Our water comes out of the ground @ 7.2 pH as soon as it's in a tank or bucket it heads to the Base side. Are you or do you have a way to add fresh Sphagnum moss and or is that what you will do?

While I've used Sphargnum moss for years although living in the southwest, I don't know anything about it, hence: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphagnum
It's actually fascinating stuff.
What properties are you looking for to affect pH?

PostPosted: Jan 28th, '17, 03:58 
Legend Member
Legend Member

She says that a friend in the fish business uses it to make the PH go down a lot. He used it to make PH 4 or so for Discus fish. That was all he used to treat his make up water for all his tanks. He raised beautiful Discus for years so I will try to get my PH down to 7 at least. Cant hurt anyway.

My system thread

PostPosted: Jan 28th, '17, 04:01 

Are you human?: YES
Gets used to lower the pH of soil for blueberry planting as well :thumbright:

PostPosted: Jan 30th, '17, 11:27 
A posting God
A posting God

What are you going to use, fresh or the stuff in the bales?

PostPosted: Jan 31st, '17, 00:59 
Legend Member
Legend Member

She is going to order the bales but has not done it yet. I did get my air pump out and clean it up and get it started in my top up tank. I am still pumping water out of my outdoor pond as the PH is lower there or was. I have not checked for a while. I guess I should.

My system thread

PostPosted: Jan 31st, '17, 21:53 
A posting God
A posting God

Bales okay, how will you contain the fluffy material then? Sorry I don't mean to grill you. I've got to something about our 8.2. Been reading @mwdesign's thread as well as Druzzy's and can see that high pH limits the type's of plants we can grow.
I don't need no stinkin' limits.
Ha ha no seriously I need your experiment to work.
It also sound's like from those threads that I need to take our strawberry towers off line from the AP and I don't know what I'll do yet.
I'm open for ideas. Between the salt and the pH they look pathetic.

PostPosted: Feb 1st, '17, 01:08 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Ok I dont know about fresh Spagnum Moss, What do you know about it? We plan to put the moss in a poly bag and suspend it in the top up water barrel with an air supply bubbling in it.

Yeah salt is really bad for strawberries. If you salt more than 1 PPM you are going to see problems with them. They would be better separated to a different water source, the aquariums might be an answer too.

Way back when I started I did strawberries and killed them with salt. never got around to restarting in the AP. I have some in barrels outside and some in tire gardens but they died back in the winter cold. They may come back in the spring. The tires did last year.

Actually I would like my beds to not have so much rotting stuff in them but that is what is making the system work I think. I am going to put more worms in this year again and see if that helps also. I do find worms still when I did in some of the barrels but not all of them.

My system thread

PostPosted: Feb 1st, '17, 13:24 
A posting God
A posting God

Haha no I was hoping you knew about the fresh. I was thinking the stuff in bales is so fine it would be difficult to contain. I sure hope it works too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46