All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Dec 2nd, '17, 14:00 

Are you human?: YES
I have an opportunity to help start a large Aquaponics system in Moyobamba, Peru. Moyobamba is the high jungle at 1000m above sea level.

Moyobamba averages 22.8 celsius yearly (73 degrees F). The coldest month on average is August when average temperature is only 21.4C (70F). The coldest temp ever recorded was 6C (42.8F). I do believe low temperatures during the coldest time of year regularly get into the 50s overnight. I was reading a little about Tilapia. Apparently there's a blue variety that's a little more cold hardy, but perhaps it has its drawbacks?

Personally I'm learning towards Pacu, because I think those low temperatures are too low for any Tilapia. I think the species is Piaractus brachypomus, but according to Wikipedia there are a few species that could be called Pacu:

Myleus pacu, el pacú chico , un pez de los ríos amazónicos.

Piaractus mesopotamicus, el pacú blanco, mbiraí o pez chato, natural de la cuenca del Paraná.

Piaractus brachypomus o Colossoma b., el pacú panza roja, gambitana, morocoto o cachama roja, común en la Amazonia.

Colossoma macropomum o Piaractus macropomus, el pacú negro, cachama negra o cherna natural de la cuenca del Orinoco.

Mylossoma paraguayensis, el pacú reloj,[1]​ pacú-peva,[1]​ pacucito,[1]​ medallón[1]​ o brillantina.[1]​

Is Pacu more forgiving of cool temperatures than Tilapia?
What species of Pacu are they raising here?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FJxoYwFiOLY

In the description they mention Pacu and Gamitana as if it's two different fish, but the Wikipedia list makes me think they're both the same: P. brachypomus.

I read however that that species requires 22 - 28C water. I assume those open ponds are unheated. Does the fact that they're in contact with the ground make them insulated enough to keep temperatures high enough on the cool nights or is it safe to assume that those species are more cold tolerant than many sources give them credit for?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 3rd, '17, 02:18 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Fancy goldfish do well any where from 32 degrees fahrenheit to 85 degrees fahrenheit. (in celcius,0-30 degrees)
I have no idea about pacu, but it seem like they would do well to.

PostPosted: Dec 3rd, '17, 04:40 

Might also try some of the native fish Doncella (Pseudoplatystoma) or Paiche I see listed in some comments from that area. A large enough pond where the temperature doesn't fluctuate as much might work for Tilapia and the Blue Tilapia will probably work but you might need to be concerned about them becoming an aquatic pest if they get loose.

Not certain I have that genus right but just trying to get you started.

PostPosted: Dec 3rd, '17, 14:07 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: mostly
keep in mind that water temperatures will fluctuate much less than air temperature.
eg. have a look at Gordons (Gungalla) graphs in his thread to see air temps versus water temps.

As a rule the middle between the max and min is typical of the water temperatures.

If you have sunlight during cold epriods then it is possible to thermal heat for a few extra degrees.
Can be done easily with black plastic poly pipe etc.

Not sure on eating quality but some of the other Chjclids survive as introduced pests in Australian creeks.
Talipia is considered a massive risk (hence is banned). Stream water temps would be 10-15 degrees.
May not grow but might survive OK.

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

PostPosted: Dec 4th, '17, 05:15 

For a 1000 sqft floating tank system, what would be the expected temp fluctuation?

The average yearly temp of 22 is still slightly colder than the preferred range.

I want to prioritize species that eat vegetables, so I can use Moringa as feed.

I see conflicting info about the fish I'm interested.... particularly P. brachypomus and mylossoma duriventre. Would be nice if there were information from people who have knowingly subjected these species to temps in the 10 - 14 range to determine their adaptability.

PostPosted: Dec 4th, '17, 12:00 

Actually I might be better off using Piaractus mesopotamicus
https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 44?LI=true

https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 017-0198-y

Although I don't think it's readily available in Peru. Any ideas how to obtain stock?

PostPosted: Dec 5th, '17, 08:00 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Aquatic Life Form
Don't you have any trout there?

Fish: Trout / Silver Perch
Hailea 80 air pump
1FT-1RFF-4GBs-1ST
Gurkan The Cheesemaker
Pictures of My AP System
My site

PostPosted: Dec 5th, '17, 08:04 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Your starting to hit on the answer there. Stock what ever is available locally as fingerling, not much sense in thinking about anything else really.. They are available and generally suited to your local conditions, and there should be suitable feed available for them as well.

Profile Personal album