All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jan 3rd, '18, 03:25 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Looking at my feed chart for fish in the 150 gram range they should be getting a 3mm feed size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 3rd, '18, 05:17 

Are you human?: YES
With the temp that low it makes an ammonia spike less likely to be the cause once the fish were in the system. It's really more likely something like this happened during transport in this case.

PostPosted: Jan 6th, '18, 06:04 

@Crackenfish: So that would mean my feed was to big in size. Would the trout try to eat it, or just ignore the feed and starve? I haven't seen any of the trout effortlessly trying to eat the 4,5 mm feed.

@scotty435: Transportation took only 20min. Fresh water was used during transport. Do you think I would get a spike in that short time?

Did the pictures and the video give you some indication on what went wrong?

PostPosted: Jan 6th, '18, 07:43 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: mostly
you may have captured it here..
Some kind of infection? After approximately one week some of the trout got some kind of white fungus at their mouth. I was told that this is likely due to injuries that can occur when the fish is being caught. It shouldn't be deadly, but occurs when the fish has other health problems.
Not all of my trout had this fungus.

A lot of fish related issues are predominantly stress related/triggered, and IMO an IBC is not really an ideal container for aquaculture, particularly fish like trout. I know lots of people do it but these type of issues are pretty common.
The main issue is difficulty in having circulating water (which is easy in a circular tank) and the fact that a 1000L IBC is much different in swim area than a 1000L circular aquaculture tank (which are about 0.6m deep or so - so larger surface area).
If serious one would have 1500-3000L anyway.

The other aspect is how well protected/exposed the fish feel. Was the IBC dark enough.
Also was there any vibration or noise from pumps etc. IBC's can be pretty bad for this.
These sorts of things stress fish out and lead to demise.

The other thing is whether (a) you salt treated them and (b) you kept the transport water or added it to the tank.

The other part is how well the water matched up from supplier to transport to system.
That is another area fish can get shocked.

finally...
I used well water which we also use as water supply for ourself.
Fish, particularly trout species, are sensitive to many metals/elements/water that we are not. Particularly copper and zinc for example, and particularly herbicide/pesticide residue. It may be that your well water is not ideal for raising fish in - even though you might use it for domestic purposes. Even if it is OK it may still contribute back to the fish not being comfortable. Is the water hard water - GH/KH ?

trout etc are very sensitive to water quality.
Whereas goldfish/carp etc would be much less so (as an example).

You could get your water laboratory tested for quality & metals etc, but is would be at some cost for a one-off.
Some countries offer subsidised water testing for water that is required for domestic consumption.

Catch 22 - you may be better with stream water or pond water (though may have to treat it or UV filter it first).

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

PostPosted: Jan 6th, '18, 11:33 

The video didn't work for me so maybe someone else had better luck. Can't tell anything from the pics though.

PostPosted: Jan 7th, '18, 05:27 

Dear Darren, thank you for the extensive reply, even if it's a bit discouraging for me.

You are probably right, that a circular tank would be better. I will have a look, what kind of tanks were used in the cases I found where people raised trout in an aquaponic system.

Do you thhink it would help if I add a small stream pump in the middle of the tank, to enhance circulation?

The tank is situated in a shed with a medium sized window. Additionally, I put some wooden planks on top, to avoid that my children might accidently fall into the tank. So the tank is not very dark but definetly not bright.
I noticed the first days, the trout always hid at the bottom when I came in. After a while some started to come to the surface.
Later on they didn't hide anymore when I entered the room.

Vibrations where definitely an issue when I added the additional pump into the fish tank.
Before my pump was located in the sump tank. I think that there was no inflence except from the water splashing back into the tank. (But you will have that in every river with sudden height differences).

The transport water I added to the tank (a few liters), I didn't add any salt to the water.

Regarding water quality. The well water in our area is known to be rather hard ( I have no numbers for GH/KH). It is rich in manganese (we use a filter for that, but probably some is left).

In summary I understand you, that I probably should turn to other fish.

I think I would try one more time, but that time I would take water from our lake. We used to put trout there before and they lived there for some time. So it can't be to bad.

@scotty435: Thank you for telling me. I took it directly from my cell phone. Maybe i can convert it to some better file type.

PostPosted: Jan 7th, '18, 10:26 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: mostly
>> In summary I understand you, that I probably should turn to other fish.

I did not mean that specifically (and definitely not negatively), just simply stating that trout are a very sensitive species compared to many other aquaculture fish, and this needs to be considered when planning your system for them.

A circular tank will circulate water very easily - trout etc like to swim/hold position against a current.
Just need to have a side pointing discharge.

Despite groundwater being the source water for many streams it is not unusual to have water quality issues with groundwater.

The salt would have probably helped. And trout seem to be sensitive to vibration/noise etc.

A thread to read is Petes First System (page 5 onwards) - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27800&start=60
It really adds significant reality to the "throw the fish in and grow veg" expectation.

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

PostPosted: Jan 10th, '18, 04:39 

Dear Darren,

I know you didn't wanted to talk me out of the idea of trout farming.

It was just a bit discouraging, that there are even more possible reasons for the loss of my fish.

I think I will have to accept that for the next time I need to put more time into preparation and maybe also reorganize my hardware.