All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Jun 3rd, '08, 00:13 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

janetpelletier wrote:
Borders between states are not checked. You just drive across.

Well I cannot tell you how many times sadly I call to order something and people say "Rio Rancho, Mexico" and here with fish its "Papers Please" HAHA!!

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 3rd, '08, 00:35 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you human?: YES- kinda
these papers are not in order!

PostPosted: Jun 3rd, '08, 01:32 

SlicerDicer wrote:
Well I cannot tell you how many times sadly I call to order something and people say "Rio Rancho, Mexico" and here with fish its "Papers Please" HAHA!!

LoL, let me tell you when i decided to move here my girfriends parents asked if she needed a passport and told her not to drink not to drink the water. Its sad how many Americans here dont know New Mexico is part of the United States. When i went to transfer my car insurance i told the guy i was in NM and he told me that they didnt cover people in that country. Being a smartass i said i see you failed 3rd grade geography, he said i know exactly where you are!
So i asked for a supervisor when he got on the phone he said what seems to be the problem i asked him if he knew where NM was he said sure its between Texas and Arizona. I said could you please buy that idiot i was talking to a map he thinks im in another country.

PostPosted: Jun 3rd, '08, 02:58 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: YES
Fish! Where are your papers citizen!

PostPosted: Jun 3rd, '08, 04:28 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Now that is funny! Good one DW! ROFLMAO

PostPosted: Jun 3rd, '08, 10:15 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

GotFish? wrote:
Now that is funny! Good one DW! ROFLMAO

It is kinda bad down here! :shock:

PostPosted: Jun 18th, '08, 14:46 

I have given up! Im going back to my old ways. *picks up hack saw and hydroponic nutrients*
This just isn't feasible at this point or economical. Until i can get my hands on some Tilapia or another easily breed able fish that i can start a colony with im going back to hydroponics. There is no point as far as im concerned in wasting my money on useless gold fish this defeats the purpose of Aquaponics cause im sure as hell not going to eat them and when winter comes im not going to waste money feeding and keeping them inside. The limited supply of channel cats i can get cost to damn much $2.99 each and they wont breed in a 400 gallon tank. :angryfire: I hate this god damn state and its permits! :cussing: As soon as i have enough money im moving back to Florida where its sunny there is water and damn near every type of fresh water fish you could eat is easily obtainable.

PostPosted: Jun 18th, '08, 14:58 
Spam Assassin (Be afraid!)
Spam Assassin     (Be afraid!)

oh bugger

................................................................. . Image

PostPosted: Jun 18th, '08, 23:10 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Y: I have affadavit
DesertWolf wrote:
I have given up! Im going back to my old ways. *picks up hack saw and hydroponic nutrients*
This just isn't feasible at this point or economical. Until i can get my hands on some Tilapia or another easily breed able fish that i can start a colony with im going back to hydroponics. There is no point as far as im concerned in wasting my money on useless gold fish this defeats the purpose of Aquaponics cause im sure as hell not going to eat them and when winter comes im not going to waste money feeding and keeping them inside. The limited supply of channel cats i can get cost to damn much $2.99 each and they wont breed in a 400 gallon tank. :angryfire: I hate this god damn state and its permits! :cussing: As soon as i have enough money im moving back to Florida where its sunny there is water and damn near every type of fresh water fish you could eat is easily obtainable.

I bet you could get some fish from folks on EBay or this forum... I know one source, but only for genetic male tilapia.

Goldfish can certainly stay outside for the winter...I used to see them under the ice in Ohio in small ponds. Just read a website where a fellow has them in a pool in Vermont and, as long as it does not freeze to the bottom, they are fine.

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '08, 04:01 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

DesertWolf wrote:

New Mexico land of Entrapment ;-)

They dont call it that for nufin :/

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '08, 04:21 
A posting God
A posting God

If you want tilapia, then get some!

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '08, 05:47 

DanDMan wrote:
If you want tilapia, then get some!

Dan are you offering to sell me some? This whole thread has been myself and slicer trying to find someone would sell us some but no one will. I contacted this guy on ebay but he was no help and no one else has been selling them on ebay. Im not wasting my money on all males even if i could get them, then i just have to go through the hassle of buying more later. If im not able to get some i can breed then its not sustainable and it becomes a money pit.

The whole reason i started this project was to be able to breed and raise fish to eat and grow my veggies. If im not able to breed and raise the fish there is no point. I dont grow my veggies as a hobby i grow them to feed my family so this isnt some game or leisurely hobby for me. This is the difference between having food on the table and not and this state has made it damn near impossible for me to make this project happen. I dont know what else to do, ive wasted so much growing time with this.

Every one keeps saying get gold fish. NO! NO! NO! NO! There is no point, why so i can grow the plants with them, i can do that with fertilizer at the same cost. Im not wasting my money on them for nothing. If i cant feed my family with the fish im not buying them. And i know for sure they will freeze in my 400 gallon tank outside because i had 2 koi in there the winter before last and they froze. This winter i had a few fish and a heater and it ran my electric bill up so i gave them to a friend. I think Sustainable it the key word here and at this point it is not. :cry: Im so put out by this whole situation. I put so much work and money into this system, i even built a new green house. Only to find out im screwed because of where i live.

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '08, 08:50 
A posting God
A posting God

I think slice found some ;)

Im sure you can too.

PostPosted: Dec 17th, '08, 21:32 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

I am in Arizona and face the same outrageous demand for permits
to buy or keep any viable fish. I have spent a year and a small fortune with tanks and green house, solar panels and pumps. I am still using feeder gold fish, some of which are now 8" long. But I do have fantastic veggies, and fish water for dirt garden and orchard.
I am considering an aquarium fish that will breed and be fair table fish. No permit required. Giant gourmani seems to fit the bill, but is a tropical fish and needs 70 deg. water. Now I need to set up solar water heat with backup. If I can keep temps will have to pay $4-5 each for the potential breeders.

PostPosted: Dec 17th, '08, 23:39 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: YES at least mostly
DesertWolf,
Just curious, how are you planning to keep and breed Tilapia if the water got so cold that it killed your koi? Tilapia are pretty tropical and I'm finding it challenging to keep the water warm enough to keep them growing during winter in an in ground tank here in central Florida.

Are there no native fish in New Mexico?

Old 300 gallon System

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next