All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Aug 25th, '10, 05:57 

I am trying to get my blue tilapia to reproduce without any success. I have a 400 gallon tank with about 15 good size (8-12") fish, and a 150 gallon glass tank in my greenhouse here in central Florida. The outside temps are around low 90's for the past 2 months. I also have a 75 gallon tank in the house I have started putting a few fish in. I am thinking they are reproducing in the 400 gallon tank but it is difficult to tell since I can only see in the top of tank and there are several fish in it. I have a few questions:
1) when I have gravel in a tank, some fish make nests. I assume these are the males?
2) In the 400 gallon tank, some fish don''t eat and seem to protect a certain area of the tank by chasing all other fish away. Are these females? Maybe ones with eggs? Should I relocate these to another tank, maybe the one inside?
3) are there other ways to determine the sex?
4) once a fish is determined to be male or female, has anyone tried any type of marking to keep the ones you want for breeding identified?
5) any other breeding tips?

Several of my fish are filleting size but I don't want to start eating them until I make sure I have replacements on the way.

Thanks,
Harry - Orlando FL

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 26th, '10, 07:57 

Are you human?: yes
Do you have tube or cells in there for the fish to hide in? I understand that they like privacy when breeding.

I really don't know more than that. I look forward to watching this thread as I am hoping to do the same thing as you next year.

Pleco

PostPosted: Oct 8th, '10, 06:53 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: FISH
1. Correct. The ones building and guarding nests are males.
2. These fish are either males guarding a nest area or females holding eggs. Most likely, they are males guarding a nest though. Net one out and see if it has eggs in its mouth. That'll tell you what you've got. :)
3. You can vent sex them. It's a little difficult though, unless you do it a lot. One method of ID'ing sex is to place 8 or so tilapia in a 55 gallon or bigger aquarium. Watch for males digging and guarding nests, and pull them out when you see one. Keep doing this until no one is building a nest. Ideally, you've got all females left in the tank at this point. Now, grab your best male that you removed previously and put him in the tank. Now you've got a breeder colony.
4. You can fin clip them. Simply cut a portion of the back end of the dorsal fin (the part without stiff spines) off with some scissors. It will grow back in about a year, but there will still be a slight scar. If the scar isn't enough for you to easily ID, clip the fin again. It causes no harm to the fish. You could tag them, but tagging is a bit more advanced, and can cause problems with the fish if not done correctly. It can also cause issues during spawning and injuries if the tag snags on something in the tank.
5. Breeders like lots of space. Keep your fish density low in a breeder tank.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mar 1st, '16, 02:01 

Are you human?: yes
Best Breeding Temp: 80 degrees F