All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Dec 4th, '10, 21:12 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Thanks Faye,

didn't think of salting them. it's actually 70 litres. but if that's too small i'll track down a bigger esky and hopefully find some other time to go.

cheers,
Dave

Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 16th, '10, 18:54 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

In response to the PM i received and for any others considering the same, I went and got 12 Barra from Bedfordale on Saturday. Nice looking fish. Sorry, no photos of the fish or the travel set-up.

Around about a two hour trip to Toodyay which they seemed to handle fairly well. Once at the other end there was an unfortunate, unplanned delay getting them into the tank - not sure but at least another hour :oops: - although they did get a top up of new water. The extra delay stressed them out a fair bit, but they were finally transferred - and so far so good. That said, i don't want to repeat the delay next time round.

The fish transporter for the day comprised:
- 70L esky internal dimensions were about 50cm long and 35cm deep. Including the fish it was probably just over half to 2/3 full.
- Esky was placed in one of those plastic half-shell sandpit/paddling pool things to catch the splashes. It fit nicely in the back of an i30.
- aerator taped to the top of the lid so the air stone was at the bottom of the esky. The aerator was the standard cheapo 2x D cell battery type. (I recommend testing this type of aerator in advance, i once lost a few fingerlings because my aerator was crappy, went straight out and bought another similar one which was 10x better and the remaining fingerlings suddenly perked up. I actually used both aerators for the barra run, but i don't think the crappy one did much)
- I fastened the esky lid but kept it a bit open with a twig.

I'd definitely repeat the exercise, with these variations:
- maybe just 10 barra
- maybe take a 20L container for some top-up water just in case .
- definitely have my s**t sorted so there is no delay in transferring them at the other end.

PostPosted: Dec 16th, '10, 20:26 

Hi Dave, Glad to hear your trip was successful and thanks for sharing!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6