All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Aug 4th, '14, 23:02 

Are you human?: YES
I know there are threads about freshwater prawns, but none dedicated to breeding and hatching them, so here goes.

Anyone have experience in this regard? There is a great manual on culturing freshwater prawns from FAO ([url]Macrobrachium Rosenbergii[/url]), but it is geared towards large-scale production. Has anyone found a great small-scale system setup and methodology for this?

I have about 30 freshwater prawns in my system that were introduced by another person a couple of years ago. There were probably a lot more when they were first introduced but they have been slowly dying off from cannibalism and possibly old age. The other day I found a couple berried females with eggs and decided to see how far along the hatching process I could go and if by some miracle I can manage to raise them to postlarval stage. Put them in a separate container with an airstone, and gradually raised the salinity to 12ppt, which the larvae need to survive. The larvae have hatched now and I've returned the females to their home in the growbed. (Wish I could show you all a picture of them but they ae so tiny.)

So this is where I am and trying to figure out what to do next. Will try to see what we have around that I can feed them as right now they are probably starting to cannibalise each other. Also will see if I can set up a small recirculating system for them if I have time, altough if I place them in a large enough tank I wonder if recirculation would even be necessary as I am doing such a small batch. Would love to hear from anyone who has tried raising larvae before.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 28th, '14, 22:15 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: not before coffee
Cool. Are they still surviving? I'd be interested in hearing what you learn along the way...

PostPosted: Aug 1st, '15, 05:51 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Any updates? I'm looking at culturing prawns (M. Rosenbergii) as well.

PostPosted: Aug 2nd, '15, 03:36 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
aponadam wrote:
I know there are threads about freshwater prawns, but none dedicated to breeding and hatching them, so here goes.

Anyone have experience in this regard? There is a great manual on culturing freshwater prawns from FAO ([url]Macrobrachium Rosenbergii[/url]), but it is geared towards large-scale production. Has anyone found a great small-scale system setup and methodology for this?

I have about 30 freshwater prawns in my system that were introduced by another person a couple of years ago. There were probably a lot more when they were first introduced but they have been slowly dying off from cannibalism and possibly old age. The other day I found a couple berried females with eggs and decided to see how far along the hatching process I could go and if by some miracle I can manage to raise them to postlarval stage. Put them in a separate container with an airstone, and gradually raised the salinity to 12ppt, which the larvae need to survive. The larvae have hatched now and I've returned the females to their home in the growbed. (Wish I could show you all a picture of them but they ae so tiny.)

So this is where I am and trying to figure out what to do next. Will try to see what we have around that I can feed them as right now they are probably starting to cannibalise each other. Also will see if I can set up a small recirculating system for them if I have time, altough if I place them in a large enough tank I wonder if recirculation would even be necessary as I am doing such a small batch. Would love to hear from anyone who has tried raising larvae before.

You sound like the resident expert. Sorry if noone can be of more help. I have done work with native fish that either hasnt been done in a small system or hasnt been documented before. I use the publications and information published for the large systems and then try to mimic the process as well as i can using methods and equipment available to me. It sounds like you are already doing that and it sounds like you are doing well. Please keep us posted, success or failure so people can build on what you learn.

Reproducing Sunfish (Bluegill/Redear/Crappie)
Feed training Crappie
Breeding tilapia