All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: May 2nd, '15, 09:32 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Just for your information, this is zone 5. However, cold weather rarely lasts for long. We tend to get short, intense, cold spells in the winter, followed by long periods of warm (ish) weather. The pond in question will be in a warm microclimate, so I doubt it will have ice on it for very long at a time. In any case, as weith any pond, I will keep a hole open.

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 2nd, '15, 15:07 

Are you human?: YES
Your options may depend on the state laws regarding pond stocking. You may want to check and see what's offered by companies that will stock private lakes in your state. After that it's mostly based on water temperature. For warm waters probably catfish, bass, and if you're willing to wait longer Bluegill or Redear sunfish. Bluegill seem indestructible but grow slowly. Yellow perch might be an option if the water stays below 85 F. Trout might be an option if you can keep the water under 75 F during the Summer. You may have to aerate the pond if the dissolved oxygen gets low at times.

There are probably some other options but those are the main ones.

PostPosted: Jul 15th, '16, 10:06 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
I have seen videos of goldfish and Koi living under ice. Goldfish are good up to 90degF water as well.

Mine(goldfish and fathead minnows) have seen from 40degF up to low 90s right now and are fine. My system is very small and the actual temp was 96 today... but the weather channel said it felt like 110. They slow way down in anything below 50deg.

I thought I would have killed a few by now(9 months). Only a couple(minnows) died from suicide/jumping out.