All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Sunrise tilapia
PostPosted: Dec 1st, '16, 23:15 

Are you human?: no
I bought some tilapia off a neighbor and he told me they were called "sunrise tilapia". I was looking for more info on them but I end up with dead links. Anyone know where I can find some info on these guys?

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Sunrise tilapia
PostPosted: Dec 2nd, '16, 00:23 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: Yes
AponicsNewb wrote:
I bought some tilapia off a neighbor and he told me they were called "sunrise tilapia". I was looking for more info on them but I end up with dead links. Anyone know where I can find some info on these guys?

Are you able to post a picture? Never heard of sunrise tilapia but more than likely a different name for a red tilapia.

PostPosted: Dec 2nd, '16, 05:56 

I can't take a picture of my fish at the moment but I have found a picture of fish that look the same. This is the only real result when I search for sunrise tilapia and I got the image from theaquaponicssource.com. http://imgur.com/a/nGL5O

PostPosted: Dec 2nd, '16, 06:56 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: Yes
I'm no fish expert but they look very similar to a red nile tilapia. Tilapia all seem to enjoy the same things though some are bred to be male only but general information for tilapia is very easy to find and readily available. If this is a separate species from the red I'd be interested to know myself but looks like you'll have some beautiful and tasty fish by next summer.

PostPosted: Dec 2nd, '16, 07:04 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: when in a good mood
The most common species in US aquaponics are Orechromis Niloticus and Orechromis Mossambicus, and color can vary widely. There are 38 recognized tilapia species per wikipedia (so it has to be true) so I have no idea which one the "Sunrise" tilapia is. But it's probably just a name for one of the two above that someone made up after breeding and culling to yield a specific color trait.

The mozambique vary widely in color from white, to blue, to orange and mottled colors. The nile are bred to three color strains by White Brook Farmsand sold as red, blue and white, and mozambique as "regular" and gold.

The nile strain can live in temperatures below 55°F, but the mozambique will likely die below 65°F.

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Dec 2nd, '16, 08:49 

Thank you for the responses! After the little research I did, I figured he just told me the wrong name or made one up.