All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Apr 7th, '11, 06:41 

Are you human?: no
Hello Everyone.
I was wondering if anyone in the United States has Jade Perch ? I have searched and not found any link to someone that has some fingerlings for sale not not found anyone. So my question is has anyone imported them into the USA ? Or does anyone in the USA have some for sale ? Westpur

Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 7th, '11, 07:08 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Hi Westpur,

Ausyfish in Childers, Queensland Australia will air freight them internationally. But, as they said to me, you have to find out what your local Fisheries department policy is with exotic fish species. They have a min order quanity, I think it was around $3k so if you are large enough scale or a few of you guys State side might be interested in a combined order?

Cheers.

PostPosted: Apr 7th, '11, 07:23 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
Welcome to BYAP forums westpur. Ozinbrasil, the US has some serious invasive species problems. Its not impossible but very improbable that the state or national agencies will allow it, especially on a hobby scale. Louisiana makes it difficult to get a tilapia permit, I'd wager they will turn down silver perch. But don't let me talk you out of it, give it a try.

PostPosted: Apr 7th, '11, 11:48 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Hi westpur.. :wave1:

Best if you can work with whats available locally, both in terms of fish species, plant species and temperature ranges..

I shake my head when I hear of people trying to do things like grow Tilapia in Scotland. Non native species, requiring totally different environment to the local temperatures, so very expensive heating required. Trout or carp would be much better suited..

Anyway, I'm getting off track. Check out what species are allowed locally, find whats available locally.. :thumbright:

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Apr 7th, '11, 17:30 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: Monster
earthbound wrote:
Hi westpur.. :wave1:

Best if you can work with whats available locally, both in terms of fish species, plant species and temperature ranges..

I shake my head when I hear of people trying to do things like grow Tilapia in Scotland. Non native species, requiring totally different environment to the local temperatures, so very expensive heating required. Trout or carp would be much better suited..

Anyway, I'm getting off track. Check out what species are allowed locally, find whats available locally.. :thumbright:

You know I seem to be getting a lot of people asking me about australian fish. I can tell they watched one of the aquaponics videos and want a Jade Perch. Either that or they are obsessed with Tilapia despite the heating requirements (in my area).

I can't really seem to understand why and no matter what I say they still want a Jade Perch (or marron/red claw). There are many fish available here. Trout are an amazing fish. Taste similar to salmon. Good supply of them are available. You can grow them to decent size in 6 months. Catfish are great for a year round fish. There are also bass, sacramento perch, redear sunfish, bream, blue gill, etc available from aquaculturists. It's also fun to learn about the many different fish that are native to the area in which you live.

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7857

PostPosted: Apr 7th, '11, 20:12 

Are you human?: no
I was looking at the health aspect of this fish. With extraordinary high levels of omega-3. As for the heat required I have that. But what I have right now and they work great as well as taste great is Kissing gourami, from the pet store. They eat vegetables and also duck week. In my system I have one tank right now that is 2500 gallons. The gourami do great, and I like the taste of them . I was only looking at the omega oil in the perch. An would like to see how they taste as well. But for anyone who wants to try Kissing gourami, or large gourami they will work just fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kissing_gourami
"Kissing gourami reach a maximum size of 30 centimetres (12 in) "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_gourami
"Even under less than ideal conditions, Gourami can grow from 75 mm to 500 mm in four years."
About 19.68 inches.