All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Feeding pond-caught bass
PostPosted: Aug 6th, '17, 21:39 

Are you human?: YES
Hi folks! :wave:

I setup my aquaponics system a few months ago with the help of all the great info in the forum. I'm using a buried IBC for my sump, one IBC for the tank, and 4 beds (2 media, 2 raft). I cycled the system using bass that I caught in our farm pond. They seem to be doing well and I think the system has now cycled. I'm wondering how I should be feeding these guys?

I grabbed a 50lb bag of fish feed from the farm store, but after I got home I realized that it's floating catfish food. They don't seem to be taking to it -- I have been feeding it mainly to add to the water's nutrient load. I've been catching minnows from the pond and feeding those, but I'm wondering if that's sustainable. (It is really fun watching the bass chow down on the minnows!) Would I have better luck training the bass to take feed if I switched to one of those sportsfish feed blends? Should I quit the minnows cold turkey and just offer the "boring" pellets? :)

Thanks!

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 10th, '17, 21:15 

Are you human?: Yes
I am by no means an experienced APER but the experience I do have would tell me that yes go cold turkey on the minnows. When they get hungry they will look for food. They will eventually take the pellets.
My new stock of bass really were not interested in my pellets but now are happy as Larry.
The general rule for swapping out feed for any animal is 20% change/ week.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk