All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: May 13th, '18, 11:51 

Are you human?: YES
I just purchased my aquaponic system and we plan on stocking our system with wild trout from our area. I am planning on feeding them only crickets and worms. How do I know how much to feed them?

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 13th, '18, 14:26 

Might not be legal to stock with wild trout, you might want to check your regulations just to be certain.

Probably can just feed them what they will eat within about 5 to 10 minutes and do this a couple of times a day. There are tables that tell you for the factory feeds but worms and crickets have a lot of water in them. Here's a thesis about feeding only worms to trout compared to feeding commercial pellets - https://dspace.stir.ac.uk/bitstream/1893/21831/1/Stafford%27s%20Thesis.pdf. They fed twice a day until the fish ignored one or two pieces of food that were offered. Are you just going to grow them through the Summer or are you planning to carry them through the winter as well?

PostPosted: May 13th, '18, 19:28 

scotty435 wrote:
Might not be legal to stock with wild trout, you might want to check your regulations just to be certain.

Probab Are you just going to grow them through the Summer or are you planning to carry them through the winter as well?

I don’t see why it would be legal to catch and kill them, but illegal to catch and keep them.

We plan on keeping them through the winter as well. The reason indont want to give them feed is because I don’t want them eating corn or soy. Nearly impossible to find feed without it for a decent price

PostPosted: May 13th, '18, 22:55 

In many if not most states it's illegal to transport live fish without a permit but it's OK to transport dead fish (especially since you're not likely to throw them in another lake or river). This keeps people from taking their favorite fish and transporting it to another lake where it or some organism it carries may cause problems. The regulations have tightened up over the years, especially since invasive species like zebra and quagga muscles have become a problem. There are even regulations on what you can possess in certain areas of my state - things like whether you're in a flood plain also matter. Apparently some of the worst invasive fish here in Oregon are goldfish and carp but there are a lot of regulations.

PostPosted: May 14th, '18, 07:29 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Yep, as Scotty says.. There are a few reasons why it's easier and more advisable to buy fingerling as well. When you get them young, they are used to captivity, and as such will slot right into your system. Wild fish can take a long time to adapt to the confines of a tank. Trout are quick growing, buy a fingerling and it's plate size in 6 month. Easy to transport fingerling in a plastic bag but more difficult to transport a large wild fish.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: May 14th, '18, 09:08 

I just need to know how much to feed adult trout. We have plenty of places to fish for trout around here, so I’m not worried about transporting

PostPosted: May 14th, '18, 14:23 

You should have that if you check my first post, crickets will work the same as the worms - there's a lot of variability in how much you feed because of fish size, water temp and other conditions so watch them and don't let uneaten food accumulate. If they are off the feed it's often an indication that they are stressed or something is wrong.