All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jul 17th, '17, 20:17 

Are you human?: yes
I started my system about a month ago. I had 3 goldfish and I added 10 more on monday. Last week i had an amonia spike but it came back down and last night I found I have a nitrate spike and all of my fish died except the origial three and they don't look great. i did a partial water change and I'm not sure where to go from here. I also have about 50 worms in my two grow beds. My plants don't seem to be thriving. There is a slime forming on things and I was hoping this was the bacterial growth I want, but I don't know how to know
Thank you

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jul 17th, '17, 23:44 

Are you human?: YES
Sorry to hear about your fish. The ammonia or the nitrite that followed could be the cause of their deaths, it depends on tank conditions and how high the levels got. The nitrate spike probably wouldn't have killed them, it's not very toxic to fish.

Adding 1 part per thousand (1gm per 1000ml) of salt (NaCl) usually helps protect the fish from nitrite poisoning and also helps them with stress.

The chart on this page will help you determine if the ammonia levels were in the toxic range - http://ibcofaquaponics.com/information/tables-and-charts/

It sounds like the bacteria you already had in the system weren't up to processing the waste from the 10 additional fish. It could be that the system hadn't completely cycled. Usually a system can handle this if you add the fish and very gradually increase the feed over a period of days. The bacteria that process the waste are slow growers so it takes them awhile multiply.

A lot of times you'll have a spike like this that will cause injury to the fish and cause losses over a period of weeks that follow so depending on how bad the spike was :dontknow: . Not all fish will float so be certain all the dead ones are removed.

For now I would add the salt if you haven't already and I would increase the aeration.

FYI the slime layer sounds like it could be normal bioslime which is not a problem.

Check your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. My guess is you're probably cycled if you're only showing nitrates. Usually you watch for ammonia to spike, then nitrites and finally nitrates as the different bacteria get established.

PostPosted: Jul 18th, '17, 00:52 

Are you human?: yes
thank you. I moved my two remaining fish to a hospital tank. There are currently no fish in the tank. I will let it cycle and check my numbers for a few days. After looking at the chart it may have been the ammonia as well as the Nitrites. The ammonia was at .5 at 72 degrees. It could have been what made them sick. My PH is staying at 8 and the nitrite level is between 1 and 2. I was so upset last night. I hope I pull it back together. I may need more plants as well.

PostPosted: Jul 18th, '17, 01:32 

Are you human?: YES
Sounds good, I think you did the right thing to pull the fish based on those numbers and the need to finish cycling.