All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: My first fish kill
PostPosted: Oct 24th, '18, 07:45 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Occasionally
After carrying an original 100 silver perch in my systems, I was able to keep deaths to 3% per year for the first 2 years. Then 3 days ago, I noticed a slight fishy smell in one of the tanks, but couldn't see anything wrong. The fish seemed to be behaving normally. 2 days ago I removed one fish not swimming normally. Smell was worse, but the others all seemed to be fine. Then yesterday, 5 dead floaters were on the top of the tank. A search found a 6th quite decomposed one hidden out of sight. Hopefully the source of the problem. Almost immediately, the smell started to improve and this morning smelled fine, but another was not swimming normally. I netted it out and bumped it on the head. Nitrite levels were still normal, but ammonia was slightly up. Nothing to fret about.
So, 6 fish lost in 2 years (2 of which were killed accidentally after getting sucked up the SLO in the first 2 days). Then 7 fish in 2 days. I hope this is the last of it. My first fish kill....I hope there is no second.

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: My first fish kill
PostPosted: Oct 24th, '18, 11:04 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: yes
We had a massive death toll last year.
We think some of the neighbours had use some spray which ended up in the water. After that only lost 1-2 fish.

PostPosted: Oct 24th, '18, 19:09 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Ouch! It hurts doesn't it.

PostPosted: Oct 24th, '18, 21:23 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Nhibbo wrote:
After carrying an original 100 silver perch in my systems, I was able to keep deaths to 3% per year for the first 2 years. Then 3 days ago, I noticed a slight fishy smell in one of the tanks, but couldn't see anything wrong. The fish seemed to be behaving normally. 2 days ago I removed one fish not swimming normally. Smell was worse, but the others all seemed to be fine. Then yesterday, 5 dead floaters were on the top of the tank. A search found a 6th quite decomposed one hidden out of sight. Hopefully the source of the problem. Almost immediately, the smell started to improve and this morning smelled fine, but another was not swimming normally. I netted it out and bumped it on the head. Nitrite levels were still normal, but ammonia was slightly up. Nothing to fret about.
So, 6 fish lost in 2 years (2 of which were killed accidentally after getting sucked up the SLO in the first 2 days). Then 7 fish in 2 days. I hope this is the last of it. My first fish kill....I hope there is no second.

Oh man I'm so sorry. I hate it when fish die from something other than a whack on the head. It makes my head spin trying to figure what I may have done wrong :upset:
I didn't realize the Silver Perch stayed growing in the AP for three seasons. What is their average weight at this point?
Brian

PostPosted: Oct 25th, '18, 14:12 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Hi Brian,

Yes, Silvers are fairly slow growing, unlike Tilapia or trout. On the good side, they are generally pretty tough, but but not bulletproof. The dead ones ranged from about 400 grams down to 250 for a couple of smaller ones (about 14 ounces down to 10 at a guess). I noticed Melredcap has just harvested some of hers at 550+g and were the same age as mine. A few of my larger fish are probably a similar size. One of my neighbours has just told me they had the same thing happen yesterday so maybe cold nights and warm days are still causing havoc with the bacteria. Or maybe just a chance result.
I'll be away for the next 2 weeks and my son will feed the fish when he gets home from work, so I'm feeling a bit apprehensive, but I know he'll do his best.

PostPosted: Dec 7th, '18, 09:52 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Lost another 6 while I was away, but been back now for a couple of weeks and all seems stable. All feeding well, water clear and fresh smelling, temperatures at night finally warmed up, so the bacteria seem to have settled down. On the bad side, day temps have jumped from high teens to high 30's in 2 days. It's like flicking a switch.

PostPosted: Dec 9th, '18, 04:03 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: no
I lost a heap of goldfish this year water tests were good