All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jan 20th, '13, 21:35 
rsevs3 wrote:
blind freddie, 100 fish is way too many for 800L, let alone the amount of grow beds you have.

:headbang:

Yep... I'd just leave the 50 Jades to grow out where they are.... start eating the others... and restock that system with the Silvers...

Overstocking is a sure way to compromise water quality... and fish health.. especially with the onset of winter, and falling tank temps...

Personally.. I wouldn't ever grow out more than 30 fish in an IBC... due to the limited surface area available when feeding... anything more will just set up competition/agression at feed time... resulting in abnormal size distribution... (something that's noted by a "guru"... but for the wrong reasons :roll: )

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 21st, '13, 17:43 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes, arent we all ?
[quote="blind freddie"]
Future plan is to stock another 100 jade fingerlings into the sump.

sorry guys, a bit of a typo or wishfull thinking on my part, I was only considering getting another 50 jade fingerlings. into the sump on system #2 not 100.

Also I dont plan to have them in there for long at all realy. My intention was to transfer them into system 1 after winter, as soon as the temps go back up.

I wanted to stock the other system with 100 silvers to go into the dam/pond after winter, thinking that those guys wont have grown all that much and would be OK for a about three months. Ive had silvers over winter before and they hardly eat, and produce minimal waste.

Hummm.
Back to the drawing board :think:

Taking all things into consideration I think I'll heed the warnings and advise given. as you sugest Rupert just leave the fingerlings to grow out in system 2. I might just take a quick head count, I'm not entirely sure how many went up the SLO when they were tiny.

Also as you said Rupert
"Overstocking is a sure way to compromise water quality... and fish health.. especially with the onset of winter, and falling tank temps."

I realy dont want to go through another Fungal problem ever again :cry: .

I could always park another IBC next to the pond and circulate water through it to grow the silvers out for a while, until they are bird proof any way. (still need a decent dumping of rain to refill and flush it out first)

Thanks for the advise guys, always good to get a different perspective from the brains trust :)

fish pond
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16559

disasters
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=14491&start=30

PostPosted: Jan 21st, '13, 18:09 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: YES
if you have two systems and order 100 jades they will be fine in the sump till you are ready to move them to the 2 systems next spring same with the silvers they only become a problem when the fish get bigger. I've got 60 odd jades right now in one of my ibc tanks they are all roughly the same size but I'll have to harvest some before winter because they are all getting fat and thats when you have problems :)