All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Dewormer
PostPosted: Jan 24th, '17, 06:25 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: YES
I'm planning to keep tilapia (haven't bought them yet) but want to know what people use as a dewormer for their fish? Side question: how much dewormer do you user per a gallon (or pound of fish)?

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Dewormer
PostPosted: Jan 24th, '17, 10:15 

Salting is one way. This can be done in a quarantine tank, as a dip or in your system. You can also run UV sterilizer as a way to keep numbers low if you run into a problem. The UV sterilizer only kills the ones that pass through it though.

FWIW, parasites are pretty common in wild caught fish. According to this article, it's estimated that there are very few cases in humans each year so it seems the risk of infection is low in spite of a pretty high exposure rate -

https://munchies.vice.com/en/articles/almost-every-kind-of-wild-fish-is-infected-with-worms

Regarding the dosage 1) ppt in this post means parts per thousand 2)I'm not a Tilapia grower and the amount of salt varies with the type of fish and what they can stand so this is just for general information.

1ppt for stress and to help the fish build a slime coat
3 to 6 ppt for parasite treatment in system
A 3% salt dip (I have this in the English system as three pounds for 10 gallons of water) for disinfection prior to adding to the system is another option but you have to be careful with this one and watch for signs of distress - if you see any then remove the fish immediately and find another way. The idea behind this one is that it causes the fish to slough their mucous coat and also kills the parasites. The dip should be for one of two minutes unless they have problems and have to be taken out.

PostPosted: Jan 24th, '17, 23:16 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

scotty435 wrote:
Salting is one way. This can be done in a quarantine tank, as a dip or in your system. You can also run UV sterilizer as a way to keep numbers low if you run into a problem. The UV sterilizer only kills the ones that pass through it though.

FWIW, parasites are pretty common in wild caught fish. According to this article, it's estimated that there are very few cases in humans each year so it seems the risk of infection is low in spite of a pretty high exposure rate -

https://munchies.vice.com/en/articles/almost-every-kind-of-wild-fish-is-infected-with-worms

Regarding the dosage 1) ppt in this post means parts per thousand 2)I'm not a Tilapia grower and the amount of salt varies with the type of fish and what they can stand so this is just for general information.

1ppt for stress and to help the fish build a slime coat
3 to 6 ppt for parasite treatment in system
A 3% salt dip (I have this in the English system as three pounds for 10 gallons of water) for disinfection prior to adding to the system is another option but you have to be careful with this one and watch for signs of distress - if you see any then remove the fish immediately and find another way. The idea behind this one is that it causes the fish to slough their mucous coat and also kills the parasites. The dip should be for one of two minutes unless they have problems and have to be taken out.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question. My canister filters have uv lights in them so that's a plus ^^ I also have a large container of aq salt I've used for my pet fish so sounds like I'm all set (don't need to shop for meds).

PostPosted: Jan 25th, '17, 05:26 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Location: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA (Until I win the lotto and move to Washington State!)
Are you human?: Last I heard...
I wouldn't sweat it. Deworm them when you toss them in hot oil!

http://www.boatgraphicspr.com
My system: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15173&hilit=puerto+rican+ponics