All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: May 22nd, '17, 18:58 

Are you human?: YES
A bit TL:TR so u can just skip at the questions part if u dont wna read the whole thing hehehe

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi! I don't really want to get into specifics but I currently have a 50 gal aquarium with my adorable Pearlscales supporting my grow bed with lots of plants. No issues with the plants but my brother decided it would be best to dump a few Zebra Danio in the tank while im away. WHen I came back I saw what he did and of course I dindn't want it to happen but seeing that they were seemingly not doing anything to my precious goldies then I just let it go until he gets his own tank for the Danios.

But everything changed when the fire nation attacked.... hehe well the Danios attacked the smallest of my pearlscale. Worst of all, they ate the "pearl" scale and as some of you may know, when a pearlscale goldie loses a pearl scale it grows normal fish scale in it's place. I was very mad of course and I had to treat my water. But I know that water changes are best to help wounds heal faster. And Im not just talking about the smallest ones. The big ones have nips in their fins! So far no signs of fungus or whatever. But I really want to do a water change.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So here are my questions:

1. How much of an impact will a weekly 50% water change do to my plants? I got lettuce, bok choy, kale, tomatoes, mint, dianthus, aragula, water spinach, spinach, watercress in there. I love my fish and I want them to be healthy but I dont wana remove nutrients for the plants.

2. Do fish medicine affect plants too? Like Meth blue or aqua salt?

3. If ever I can do a weekly water change, what would be the best amount? 20%, 50%, 90%??

4. Will activated carbon remove nutrients for plants too?

Well. That's all. Please help. Thanks!

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 26th, '17, 18:30 

anyone?

PostPosted: May 26th, '17, 22:46 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Yup
Hiya Zeus, I'm no expert but I can try to answer some of your questions.
Aquarium meds for fish are not recommended in AP, generally if you can't drink it don't add it. Whether it affects the green side I'm not sure but I wouldn't risk it. Salt is acceptable provided it is just salt with no additives. Not sure about Aqua salt but if it costs more than pool salt choose the latter.
Water changes, why? One of the benefits of AP is the water saving qualities and if you have sufficient gbs, plants or bio filtration it shouldn't be necessary. If you must do water changes then quantities don't matter provided you closely match existing pH and temps with the make up water.
Activated carbon I'm not sure about however I don't think it removes minerals from the water after all charcoal is a great additive to soil for plant growth. Dave Donley? was using charcoal as a growing medium to good effect but don't know how the carbon is 'activated'
Hope this helps but please keep in mind that I may be wrong, I frequently am.......

PostPosted: May 26th, '17, 23:30 

Really the solution is for your brother to get his own aquarium :headbang:

PostPosted: May 27th, '17, 01:51 

OMG are my plants still edible?

I dosed one time yesterday (only dosing ever). I don't wna restart and I've read some guy did it and never seen any effect on the edibles.

Am i gonna be okay as long as I dont dose again? ever.

I also, already changed the water unfortunately but my instincts are telling me that my system is not mature enough to catch up with the nitrate build up so Im hoping the water change was for the best. Im more concerned about the meth blue. Making me nervous.

Well, i'll try to do more research about activated carbon, i just heard somewhere that they absorb meds.

Thanks for answering sir.

skeggley wrote:
Hiya Zeus, I'm no expert but I can try to answer some of your questions.
Aquarium meds for fish are not recommended in AP, generally if you can't drink it don't add it. Whether it affects the green side I'm not sure but I wouldn't risk it. Salt is acceptable provided it is just salt with no additives. Not sure about Aqua salt but if it costs more than pool salt choose the latter.
Water changes, why? One of the benefits of AP is the water saving qualities and if you have sufficient gbs, plants or bio filtration it shouldn't be necessary. If you must do water changes then quantities don't matter provided you closely match existing pH and temps with the make up water.
Activated carbon I'm not sure about however I don't think it removes minerals from the water after all charcoal is a great additive to soil for plant growth. Dave Donley? was using charcoal as a growing medium to good effect but don't know how the carbon is 'activated'
Hope this helps but please keep in mind that I may be wrong, I frequently am.......

PostPosted: May 29th, '17, 21:19 

anyone?

PostPosted: Jun 8th, '17, 01:45 

anyone?

PostPosted: Jun 8th, '17, 04:02 

I can't say for certain and I doubt anyone else can either. You might want to look at the amount you used vs the amount you'd get in medication. My guess is your amounts are pretty low when you factor in the water volume.