All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jun 17th, '17, 16:58 

Are you human?: Yes
My first two tomato plants started nicely. I rinsed as much dirt as possible and tossed them in the grow beds. This recent few I added are wilting by end of the day. It's getting around 86F and full sun for the last few days when I transplanted them. I have a sun shade ordered and will be here Monday. That will help the lettuce a bit too but those may be too far gone at this point.

Will tomatoes do that when first transplanted in hot conditions? Think they will survive?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 17th, '17, 17:55 

Are you human?: YES
Usually it's not a problem but yes, sometimes they will wilt by the end of the day when they haven't become established especially under really hot conditions. Shade would help with this as you know. I think they'll probably survive but if you have another location that's protected you could take a cutting and transplant it as a backup.

PostPosted: Jun 18th, '17, 10:38 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: mostly
shade cloth over the grow bed and protection from hot,dry wind can make a bit of difference.

Media can be a factor if it gets hot (eg. some rock types) or doesn't wick particularly well.

Mostly you often need to either raise your grow bed water level a little or simply water the seedlings with a watering can of fish tank or sump water for couple of weeks till established.

Once roots are into the bed they will be fine. But tomato fruit can get sunburnt quite easily.
Again shade cloth helps if you are looking to prune and have less foliage

many varieties of lettuce don't do so well hot conditions.

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

PostPosted: Jun 18th, '17, 17:28 
A posting God
A posting God

Just like in soil you can take off the bottom two leaves and plant them deeper. At this point you need shade though. :)

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '17, 02:32 

Are you human?: Yes
Got the shade today. It's a 50%, I think they look happier and it's only been 5 mins :D

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '17, 18:24 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
My tomato plants all wilted really fast when I transplanted them in to my bed. Plus I had some swiss chard that I moved from one spot to another in the same bed. What I found was that the back half of the bed was not getting as much water as the rest of the bed because my water supply comes from the other end and my drain is dead center of the bed. So even though the water level looked good when I dug a hole at the far end there was no water until I got to the very bottom. I adjusted my water level up and they recovered.

Tomato plants are pretty resilient it seems. I still have several in starter pots that I haven't tossed yet because I'm waiting to see if I need to replace anything else in the garden first, but if I don't water them ever other day then by the third day they are wilted. I dump in a bunch of water and within a couple hours they are back to normal again.

My greenhouse / aquaponics adventure