All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Oct 14th, '17, 18:46 

Are you human?: YES
Hi there! Iam working abroad and I have an existing mini aquaponics in my room.

When I go for vacation, I would like to do bigger aquaponics system and bring home some of those nitrifying bacteria in my aquaponics so as to reduce time in cycling my new system.

To do this I am thinking of putting in my baggage those sponges and filters which I used and keep it moist.

Is this a good idea? Do you think those bacteria will live enough for 1 day in my baggage? Thanks for your replies.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Oct 15th, '17, 01:15 

The bacteria will certainly live long enough to make it back. I have reservations about suggesting you try this though because you might bring back some unintended organisms. Probably better to just start fresh.

PostPosted: Oct 15th, '17, 14:11 

scotty435 wrote:
The bacteria will certainly live long enough to make it back. I have reservations about suggesting you try this though because you might bring back some unintended organisms. Probably better to just start fresh.

Thank you for your response. I'm just so excited to see my new system fully recycled which we know takes more than a month. :(

PostPosted: Oct 15th, '17, 14:50 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: If you want me to be
Not sure about your country's quarantine laws, but I doubt you could bring something like that into Australia. That said, the bacteria should survive fine.
Just look up your laws first, that'd be my advice.

-K98

PostPosted: Jan 10th, '18, 22:21 

I mean, in the past i've gone to a pet store that has fish tanks, and asked them for a couple of the bacteria culture beads in water. I got odd looks, but they gave them to me. I transferred those into the system, and the bacteria worked out fine!

PostPosted: Jan 11th, '18, 01:25 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: Yes
Cool thing is, these bacteria live everywhere already. Urinate in the tank and let nature take its course.

PostPosted: Jan 12th, '18, 22:59 

I... didn't know that would work.

science is cool

PostPosted: Jan 13th, '18, 03:08 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: when in a good mood
I'm not sure I agree with peeing directly into your system. But, if you research pee-ponics or "humonia" cycling, you will find that if you age urine for a couple of weeks there is good conversion of urea to ammonia, and this is a viable source of notrogen for fishless cycling or pee-ponics.

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Jan 13th, '18, 05:35 

Just to clarify - urine is usually sterile so the nitrifying bacteria will be coming from other locations in the environment and seeding the system will speed up the process a bit over natural colonization.

PostPosted: Jan 13th, '18, 11:54 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Not before 8am
You've most likely established your system already Adel, but just in case you haven't... As Scotty and Loser said, the bacteria are everywhere. From the moment you fill a new system with water there will be beneficial bacteria entering the system, all they need to survive and grow is an Ammonia source.

I've experimented a bit with seeding new systems with bacteria from other sources, I have also received feedback from a lot of customers over the years who have seeded their systems, including one who started two identical systems at the same time and only seeded one. From what I've seen and heard, the difference in cycling time in most cases is at most only 2 or 3 days, in fact in the case of the guy with the two identical systems the difference was only one day.

IMO the risk of introducing pathogens into a new system far outweighs the extra few days gained... Patience is a virtue.

I wouldn't seed the system. I would just initiate the cycling process by adding a capful of Maxicrop (or Seasol Powerfeed in Aust) and testing the Ammonia level 24hrs later. If it's not somewhere between 1.0ppm - 2.0ppm, then add another capful and keep repeating the process every day until the Amm gets up into that range... Then sit back and let nature take it's course.

The benefit of using Maxicrop as the Ammonia source as opposed to urine, is that it has a good nutrient profile, enabling the planting of seedlings into the system from day one.