All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jun 11th, '18, 12:08 

Are you human?: Yes
Hello everyone, new here! I recently made an aquaponics setup out of a 275 gallon IBC tote. It is constant flow, with about 6 inches of clay substrate grow bed. I have cherry tomatoes, chili peppers, bell peppers, strawberries, and a small basil plant in my grow bed. I understand that my grow bed is not optimal depth, but my plants seem to be striving so far (although I'm still in the cycling process).

I got into aquaponics as a way to easily keep large amounts of bait fish without doing excessive water changes, with the benefit of edible plants. I never knew what aquaponics was until the guy that sold me the IBC tote hooked me up. I am in need of something called sure-life finer shiner to help my shiners scales get harder again and provide them necessary nutrients, but I'm unsure if it will be absorbed into my plants which I then plan to eat. They dont list it as food fish safe, and also dont list the ingredients. The fish wont be eaten by human consumption, so that isnt an issue. What cant you use in the tank that could poison you through your edible plants...anything? I dont want to use something I shouldn't and wind up sick or with cancer. I have already used 1ppt of aquarium salt, and some tetra safe start to stabilize the water, hopefully that doesnt poison me through the plants. If I cant eat the plants after using these chemicals, it isnt a big deal, but it would not be as satisfying having to throw away things I could eat. Should I worry?

Thanks in advance,
Justin

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 12th, '18, 22:34 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: Yes.
Think of all the stuff you eat and digest without knowing it!

The not for human consumption label, I've been told is due to lack of government testing requirements. So I believe easier for a product manufacturer to state not for human consumption vs. Paying for testing of the effects on humans.

I noticed here in CA , the seaweed extract has a label "may cause cancer". Holy crap, just supposed to be natural seaweed! And the intended use is for veggie gardens. Go figure.

So for me, I attempt to make good judgements on materials and additives in the AP system.

ap beginner.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=28259

PostPosted: Jun 13th, '18, 09:48 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Why do you need to add it?

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Jun 13th, '18, 17:05 

Are you human?: YES
Maxicrop was ordered to put the statement on the bottle after losing a court case if I remember right. I made a post about this awhile back.

My post and a link is on this page (didn't try the link so I don't know if it still works) - http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26889&p=532177&hilit=maxicrop+warning#p532177