All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Aug 10th, '18, 21:42 

Are you human?: YES
Dear Urban Farmers,

I come to you because I am looking for plants that do well during winter time and I can put them in my aquaponics system.

I am using a drip bucket system with 192 buckets. The greenhouse is located in Amsterdam/The netherlands so winters can be quite cruel. Nevertheless the greenhouse is closed but the temperatures can still drop quite low.

What I am interested in are the plants that deal well with the cold and require little maintenance and care. I am thinking about rosemary and lemon verbena. If you guys can add more on this list, please help a farmer out. Would be really amazing. Thank you!

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 11th, '18, 11:14 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Yes
Whats your water temperature

I grow peas through our cold season mine are flowering now as we head towards spring , scratched seeds into gravel in mid may

Brassicas will grow in quite cold conditions they take a long time though and need lots of space so crowd the growbeds

PostPosted: Aug 11th, '18, 14:22 

Light may be more of an issue than cold. Most plants need more than 10 hours of daylight or some supplemental lighting. Look up persephone days and planting for winter harvest. You may not be able to keep the plants growing through winter on just natural light but if you start soon enough you'll still be able to harvest through winter and some plants will continue to grow as spring comes around.

PostPosted: Aug 12th, '18, 01:24 

The water temperature varies in this moment because it is also still warm. We are in august and the low temperatures are not here yet. Not sure what the water temperature will be during winter, especially because we might not have fish inside as we are afraid they will freeze. we will see about that.

Nevertheless, the greenhouse is pointed towards the sun and receives light through out the whole day. I am just interested in herbs that could grow "properly" in cold conditions.

So far I have decided on Rosemary and possibly lemon verbena.