All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Nov 9th, '11, 00:48 

Are you human?: YES
My System have been running for a couple of months 2 1/2 to be specific. Everything was going ok until a few days ago when the bottom of my broccoli, onions and cabbage started to turn yellow and die. My readings are just fine:

Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 40 ppm
pH = 7.8-8.0
Temp = 70 F

I also have a cabbage plant that was not growing so i pulled it out and it have a few small white critters and something that look like a spider web (See pics for details.
I want to see who can help and tell me what should I do.

Attachments:
GEDC0051.jpg
GEDC0051.jpg [ 85.06 KiB | Viewed 3405 times ]
GEDC0048.jpg
GEDC0048.jpg [ 89.86 KiB | Viewed 3405 times ]
File comment: This is the system
GEDC0053.jpg
GEDC0053.jpg [ 98.09 KiB | Viewed 3405 times ]

Advertisement

PostPosted: Nov 9th, '11, 00:49 

Here is the pics of the problems cabbages plants.

Attachments:
GEDC0049.jpg
GEDC0049.jpg [ 100.52 KiB | Viewed 3404 times ]
GEDC0047.jpg
GEDC0047.jpg [ 88.11 KiB | Viewed 3404 times ]
GEDC0044.jpg
GEDC0044.jpg [ 94.34 KiB | Viewed 3404 times ]

PostPosted: Nov 9th, '11, 04:03 
A posting God
A posting God

Lower the water level in your growbeds. It looks like the surface has to much moisture and maybe your getting some problems with molds which is the white stuff. Can't say what type of fungus is on the roots or whether it's a good one or problem. Rinse the plant off in case the leaf yellowing is caused by mites (another possibility but usually only happens when the weather is hot) then just pop the plant back in without changing anything except the water level. You probably already know this but the bottom pic looks like a cabbage looper is having his way - they make great fish food. Here's a pic to help you with the hunt - they blend in well.

Attachments:
IMG_1907.JPG
IMG_1907.JPG [ 70.27 KiB | Viewed 3395 times ]

PostPosted: Nov 9th, '11, 07:08 

Thanks Scotty,

Well that maybe a possibility, the water in the bed flow all the way passing the hydroton levels, i will cut the siphon 1/2 inch and see. Why was that plan the only one affected the rest were just fine as you saw in the pictures.

PostPosted: Nov 9th, '11, 16:54 
A posting God
A posting God

Quote:
Why was that plan the only one affected the rest were just fine as you saw in the pictures.

:? You have yellowing on two plants - check the first photo of the cabbage. As for why :dontknow: Yellowing like this isn't a big deal and you'll probably see the brocolli and cabbage plants do more of this but most plants keep leaves better under ideal growing conditions.

Usually you want the water level an inch or so below the top of the hydroton and you want the upper surface to be dry. Sometimes when you are trying to get seeds to grow it helps to adjust the water level up higher.

PostPosted: Jun 11th, '13, 03:56 

Are you human?: Last time I checked
I have the same situation, but I am not sure that the answers here fit my evidence, so I'd like to re-open this question!

I have the same yellowing on the leaves of my broccoli. Exactly. My cucumber did the same thing and totally died.

I have sprayed a foliar spray of iron, and cant see any evidence of mold.

Someone mentioned that low levels of nitrogen might do this? My levels of ammonia and ammonium are super low.

It DOES seem to be the lower leaves...could it be something about humidity/moisture?

PostPosted: Jun 11th, '13, 16:33 
A posting God
A posting God

How long ago did your cucumber die? What's your water temp? I'm guessing the water temp was still too low, I usually wait till it stays above 60 and preferably above mid 60's F before adding cucumbers to the system. They're pretty much a warm weather plant. Brocolli won't have any problems even at temps much lower than this so read on for the Brocolli.

Moisture could be part of the problem. If you're growing in a greenhouse keep the air moving to prevent condensation from dripping on the plants. The other things to watch for are water level being to high with the top of the media being wet and finally splashing from the inlet onto the leaves. It's pretty normal for Brocolli to loose the occasional leaf so if that's all it is I wouldn't worry about it except to clear the debris.

Yellowing of the lower leaves can also be associated with a nutrient dificiency (a mobile nutrient since it's the older leaves that are turning yellow). Usually this will look different than the photos here. High or low nitrogen can cause yellowing of the lower leaves but lots of systems run fine while testing low in nitrates so it's difficult to say if this is causing you problems.

Here's a website with a good pic - http://pendergardener.blogspot.com/2012/02/improving-sandy-soil.html

PostPosted: Jun 11th, '13, 23:00 

scotty435 wrote:
How long ago did your cucumber die? What's your water temp? I'm guessing the water temp was still too low, I usually wait till it stays above 60 and preferably above mid 60's F before adding cucumbers to the system. They're pretty much a warm weather plant. Brocolli won't have any problems even at temps much lower than this so read on for the Brocolli.

Moisture could be part of the problem. If you're growing in a greenhouse keep the air moving to prevent condensation from dripping on the plants. The other things to watch for are water level being to high with the top of the media being wet and finally splashing from the inlet onto the leaves. It's pretty normal for Brocolli to loose the occasional leaf so if that's all it is I wouldn't worry about it except to clear the debris.

Yellowing of the lower leaves can also be associated with a nutrient dificiency (a mobile nutrient since it's the older leaves that are turning yellow). Usually this will look different than the photos here. High or low nitrogen can cause yellowing of the lower leaves but lots of systems run fine while testing low in nitrates so it's difficult to say if this is causing you problems.

Here's a website with a good pic - http://pendergardener.blogspot.com/2012/02/improving-sandy-soil.html

I agree with scotty435,
My problem went away when I let some air inside the green house and also added a fan inside the greenhouse oscillating back and forward keeping the grow bed dry from above. The yellowing of the leave was a natural occurrence of deterioration of old leaves but I did not got past the bottom leave, at least in my case.

PostPosted: Jun 16th, '13, 21:56 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Most of me
And your PH is way to high.

PostPosted: Jun 17th, '13, 09:53 
A posting God
A posting God

dasboot wrote:
And your PH is way to high.

Mines been running high for a long time. I think TCLynx has also had this (and may still). The plants occasionally need foliar seaweed and maxicrop plus iron but don't seem to mind as much as you might think. The water out of the tap here is 7.8 and the system runs 7.8 to 8.2 (pH has never come down). I may eventually get around to adjusting the pH but so far haven't found it necessary (although the system does occasionally shows signs of deficiencies). For most people the pH of their system will fall as it matures so no adjustment is needed - 2 1/2 months doesn't seem long to me. If you have lots of algae in the system try reducing the algae growth and this might help with your pH (be careful to do this gradually).

I hope to switch over to well water later in the Summer we'll see how this affects the system pH.

PostPosted: Jun 17th, '13, 10:43 

My brocc's and coulies do the same, yellow/dead bottom leaves, I just break them off. Doesnt seem to interfere with the plant growth.

You can see one in this pic I took yesterday.

Attachment:
DSC_0011.JPG [231.1 KiB]
Downloaded 1313 times

PostPosted: Jun 17th, '13, 11:12 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Yep completely normal... might as well pull them off... they'll drop off any way...

Fresh By Nature - Distributor of Aquaponic Systems and Products in NSW
http://www.freshbynature.com.au