All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sep 5th, '16, 04:01 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: YES
So this year I grew a lot of tomato and cucumber, the cucumber took off and died back and is has reborn now. The tomatoes didn't do much and I don't care to do them for a few seasons. I was wanting to do some potatoes and corn along with some sort of beans. I grow only none hybrids if I can get away with it. What kind of beans work well in my Texas heat? And I have not seen anybody do potatoes is there a reason to that?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Sep 5th, '16, 04:46 

Are you human?: YES
There are so many of these out there that it should be interesting to hear what people suggest :thumbright: . I'd ask around locally with regular soil based gardeners in your area too but here are a few basic ones you might like.

Calypso beans (aka orca beans, yin yang beans - they are a shelling bean) as an heirloom bean you might try. I'm not sure about how they do in your heat but most beans do like warm temps.

http://www.highmowingseeds.com/organic-non-gmo-seeds-calypso-bean-seeds.html

Blue lake bush beans would be a good productive variety to eat green and are relatively easy to grow. I've also grown Royal Burgundy (These start out purple but turn green when you cook them) which are good but may be a hybrid and don't produce as well or as long as the Blue lake bush varieties . Both of these are good but pretty standard so you may want to look for some others to throw in the mix. You should be able to get at least two crops out of these in your area (I can in mine and it's a lot cooler here).

https://bonnieplants.com/product/bush-blue-lake/

I usually grow corn and potatoes in wicking beds and I'm not too critical about having heirlooms so I can't help much on that (Bodaceous is probably my favorite sweet corn - but it's a hybrid :dontknow: )

Cheers