All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sep 4th, '18, 22:01 

Are you human?: YES
Please bear with me as I’m new to Aquaponics. I have a small, home-built indoor system running off a 20gal fish tank. I wanted to start small and scale up as I became comfortable with practices & techniques. My Romaine Lettuce was doing great! Alas, it is showing signs of nutrient deficiency and the affects to the plant seem to be accelerating :(

There is some mild chlorosis leading to necrotic spots (mainly on older growth but seeing signs on new growth as well).

I have treated the system with chelated iron for early signs of iron deficiency in my Pak Choy and it bounced back wonderfully (no chlorosis or necrosis seen on it like lettuce & chard). I also introduced Epsom salt around a month back & did a +/- 50% water change for a nitrite spike which is now under control as I believe nitrobacter has finally established solidly.

I am now thinking potassium or magnesium and considering attempting to add potash-magnesia but understand the symptoms could point to calcium & these nutrients fight for uptake in the plants. So, I’d like to get some possible diagnosis or pointers from any more seasoned Aquaponics pros!

Anything would be helpful and dosing rates for potential nutrients to mitigate my issues is greatly appreciated. If I lose the plants, c’est la vie... I’ll file under lessons learned and take another shot, hopefully armed with greater knowledge.

Thanks in advance!!

Harry

Attachments:
47CD47E9-1AFE-44B2-97DB-23D00146AF04.jpeg
47CD47E9-1AFE-44B2-97DB-23D00146AF04.jpeg [ 160.7 KiB | Viewed 3003 times ]
C96FA0C8-694D-4A3E-A5F6-EDA49EE741CB.jpeg
C96FA0C8-694D-4A3E-A5F6-EDA49EE741CB.jpeg [ 148.72 KiB | Viewed 3003 times ]
5DC747C5-FAD2-4504-B569-387C774601CD.jpeg
5DC747C5-FAD2-4504-B569-387C774601CD.jpeg [ 118.84 KiB | Viewed 3003 times ]
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Sep 5th, '18, 16:12 

Probably a potassium deficiency. Notice how the edges are affected and that it's mostly on the lower leaves. Potassium is a mobile nutrient so it can be shifted to the new leaves but then the deficiency shows up in the old leaves. With iron you'd see chlorosis in the new leaves because it's not a mobile nutrient and can't be shifted from the older leaves.

Also make sure you're not getting splashing on the leaves since this can sometimes cause similar issues.

PostPosted: Sep 5th, '18, 20:19 

scotty435 wrote:
Probably a potassium deficiency. Notice how the edges are affected and that it's mostly on the lower leaves. Potassium is a mobile nutrient so it can be shifted to the new leaves but then the deficiency shows up in the old leaves. With iron you'd see chlorosis in the new leaves because it's not a mobile nutrient and can't be shifted from the older leaves.

Also make sure you're not getting splashing on the leaves since this can sometimes cause similar issues.

Thanks Scotty! K is what I was leaning toward as well. Absolutely no splashing happening on plant leaves/ my input snakes into bottom of hydro bed and is surrounded by filter floss. And yes, I’m sure it’s not Iron as I have already supplemented that for chlorosis on my Pak Choy which is now doing splendid.

Thanks for the input!

PostPosted: Sep 5th, '18, 23:24 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Welcome. I love your screen name CaptHindsight. Best of luck with aquaponics.
Brian

PostPosted: Sep 7th, '18, 18:37 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Easy fix.... Your aquaponic system is laying on it's side, you're damn luck all your water hasn't fallen out. Stand it upright and you should be ok... :wink: :roll:

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Sep 7th, '18, 19:57 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
earthbound wrote:
Easy fix.... Your aquaponic system is laying on it's side, you're damn luck all your water hasn't fallen out. Stand it upright and you should be ok... :wink: :roll:

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

PostPosted: Sep 7th, '18, 23:35 

earthbound wrote:

Haha! I’m guessing you’re seeing the stand on its side in the pic. Showing right-side-up on my end :D

PostPosted: Dec 29th, '18, 23:55 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Did you find out what the problem is?