All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mar 16th, '17, 06:17 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Questions:

1. Landscape fabric - we are talking about weed barriers, right? Don't they sort of breakdown after sometime when used on soil? Not that we are subjecting them to water, would they breakdown even sooner?

2. Tape - I saw some folks fold landscape fabric on some milk crate etc., then tape them. Was that duct tape or what was it?

3. Sand - I am thinking to cut 4" pipes with holes into say 6" - 8" sections and have them sit in the bottom of wicking bed vertically, or standing up. Then, have one of this sit on top of the pipes, follow with fabric, sand and soil. Do I have it backwards? Should I fill the gaps between pipes with sand, than fabric and soil?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/23-75-in-x-47-75-in-White-Egg-Crate-Styrene-Lighting-Panel-5-Pack-LP2448EGG-5/202653781
I think sand will get into the pipes even when pipes are wrapped and taped with fabric?

Thanks

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mar 16th, '17, 07:20 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: YES
Dirt mix has finer particles than sand and so will wick via capillary action quicker directly into the required soil.

1st Sys viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27800
2nd Sys viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27965
3rd Sys viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28231

[url]maroondahsheetmetal.com.au[/url]

PostPosted: Mar 16th, '17, 08:12 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
toffee wrote:
Questions:

1. Landscape fabric - we are talking about weed barriers, right? Don't they sort of breakdown after sometime when used on soil? Not that we are subjecting them to water, would they breakdown even sooner?

The residential type that you buy from the big box stores is the cheap stuff, no UV in them, and it says on the package that they have to have a cover material on top of them.

The commercial type has UV in them, no need to cover, will let water thru them, but most weeds are kept from sprouting, except a few such as nut grass. You can get over 10 years use with sun exposure.

2. Tape - I saw some folks fold landscape fabric on some milk crate etc., then tape them. Was that duct tape or what was it?

Duct tape is OK.

3. Sand - I am thinking to cut 4" pipes with holes into say 6" - 8" sections and have them sit in the bottom of wicking bed vertically, or standing up. Then, have one of this sit on top of the pipes, follow with fabric, sand and soil. Do I have it backwards? Should I fill the gaps between pipes with sand, than fabric and soil?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/23-75-in-x-47-75-in-White-Egg-Crate-Styrene-Lighting-Panel-5-Pack-LP2448EGG-5/202653781

You do know that these panels are less than 5/16" thick, not really made for loading weight on top of them.

I think sand will get into the pipes even when pipes are wrapped and taped with fabric?

I build and design Wicking systems for the last 25 years. My reservoiors are for water or a water/nutrient mix only. NO Rocks, Sand, Drainage pipes, etc. The reservoir has a PVC Coroplast signage material separating it from the media. The water is wicked up into the media using Polyester piping cord, or Micro-fiber bath towels. Somewhere on this forum, I have pictures, will look for them and post them on this topic.

Thanks