All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jul 13th, '15, 19:57 

Are you human?: yes
Instead of using harsh and expensive chemicals to raise PH, has anyone experimented with a mulch layer in between rock layers to raise PH in an aquaponics system? I have been raising Tilapia for 8 years. I raise enough fish for my wife and me to have a couple 1.5 -2lb uncleaned fish once a week. My water comes from a well that passes through limestone (Florida) The PH is way high and it is a constant battle to keep the PH low enough for the grow beds. The fish love it but most vegetables hate it. I use PH UP but it's real touchy. Very easy to go over the threshold of too much and the stuff is incredibly expensive. My system is a recirculating, flood and drain system, but I lose a lot of water through evaporation. Enough so that keeping the water level up messes up the PH very quickly. My ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are all perfect. I thought about putting mulch in mesh bags beneath a layer of rock (I use expanded shale) so it wouldn't get all mixed up in the rock when I do maintenance in the beds. I do have red wigglers in the beds so they would help compost the mulch.

Here is a link to some stuff I set up many years ago to show what I have. I don't keep it updated but it shows my system. Thanks for any suggestions http://aquadonics.blogspot.com/

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jul 15th, '15, 08:18 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
I assume you mean LOWER your pH and I hope you weren't adding pH up. Really if you want to bring it down the best way is acid, it's cheap and readily available, and if you have issues with constantly high ph because of source water I don't think a small amount of organic matter in beds will make enough of a difference.

Profile Personal album