All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Oct 23rd, '16, 03:22 

Are you human?: YES
I am planning a moderate sized earthsheltered greenhouse for my property. I live in USDA hardiness zone 4b (though they say its actually a zone 5b now with the shifting climate.)
Has anyone on here built something like this? I know its the big thing in gardens in the northern US.
I am on the fence on building materials for it and some of these decisions will depend on what I find on site once I move in. Presently though I am considering earthbags filled with scoria for insulation with cob as plaster. Strawbale is another possible option which I may incorporate but tending towards earthbags. It will contain an aquaponics system which I hope to use year round (with some CFL lights for winter greens). This will require a rocket mass heater to buffer the cold night temps plus a whole mess of thermal mass (aquaponics system will be part of this).

I hope to have the solar greenhouse in the front of the building and have two rooms in the back for chickens and pigeons. These will hopefully help regulate temps as well as adding some extra CO2 for the plants. This idea may not be workable though and still have the proper amount of solar heating so it may be scrapped. I have seen several posts with similar ideas but they didn't come back and post much after the idea stage so I assume they didn't. If I can't work this out I will instead build a earthbag dome or two for the chickens, pigeons and rabbits.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Oct 23rd, '16, 06:08 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: grudgingly
Welcome to the forum! :wave:

A couple of threads that might be useful to you are ZsaZsa's old one here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9276

and markb's here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=24884

plus rininger85 is building his greenhouse now: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26485

Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you come up with! (Pictures are awesome. Once you start building stuff, definitely post pictures. :D )

PostPosted: Oct 23rd, '16, 06:47 

Are you human?: YES
Thanks! I am excited to finally be able to put my reading into action. Those are some great threads! I can't believe I missed them. Once I get the design set I will post some sketches. And I will post pics as I build too.