All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Grey water
PostPosted: Dec 31st, '16, 00:32 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: YES
When I first started organizing my 2m x 4m area, it was mainly going to be a dirt garden with the grape vines [as there are 6 of them] providing shade in the summer, sun light to come through in the winter and then maybe say a vertical herb garden on the back wall. After reading more about aquaponic's in detail, it was something that caught my interest and needed to be incorporated in my little block of land .... a 1500 liter tank and a 1.2m1.2mx40cm grow bed was bought. I want to replace the veggie patch with a large 2.2mx1.5m raised bed, maybe a wicking bed or straight dirt/potting mix and compost mix ... a worm tower might be a go, not 100 percent sure right now. But yes the need for grey to watering the garden isn't needed, pond water will be used to top up the wicking beds anyways.

So with the diverter in place is it worth setting up a tank for the collection of grey water? Apart from being used for flushing toilet, I can't think of a use for it ........ maybe collecting rainwater might be the go?

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Grey water
PostPosted: Dec 31st, '16, 02:43 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: when in a good mood
Rainwater will be more useful for the AP system. You can use gray water for the wicking beds or dirt garden and this might be useful since you will need to water those regularly. The AP system will only need top-up from evaporation and what the plants use.

If you use AP water for the wicking beds you'll need to replace that water either with rainwater or treated tap water.

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.