All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Apr 6th, '18, 15:04 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
I am thinking to pump water from my fish tank to water ornamental plants in a small courtyard which has an existing irrigation system using 1/2” pvc pipes. float valve will refill the fish tank.

Are there any small pump that could generated say 25psi over half inch pvc pipes? Most aquarium pump publish gallons per minute, no water pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 6th, '18, 20:24 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
I think the reason pond and aquarium pumps use flow instead of pressure is they take into account head height and flow restrictions as resistance. Resistance creates back pressure which is thought of as a limitation more than a feature. At some point of resistance or head height every water pump loses all psi and the flow stops. Water systems in aquariums and ponds are open loop systems unlike the water systems in our homes which are closed loop systems.

:?

PostPosted: Apr 7th, '18, 01:20 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

boss wrote:
I think the reason pond and aquarium pumps use flow instead of pressure is they take into account head height and flow restrictions as resistance. Resistance creates back pressure which is thought of as a limitation more than a feature. At some point of resistance or head height every water pump loses all psi and the flow stops. Water systems in aquariums and ponds are open loop systems unlike the water systems in our homes which are closed loop systems.

Make sense. Therefore it has been hard to look for that pump

PostPosted: Apr 7th, '18, 10:23 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: mostly
>> reason pond and aquarium pumps use flow instead of pressure is they take into account head height and flow restrictions as resistance

that is pretty much the case for most commercial, engineering and mining pumps as well as head and loss thereof is basically the crux of pipe system network planning with flow as the subsequent 'lookup' outcome.

In their cases the head-flow performance charts come from the supplier - at pond level they are on the box.

incidentally psi translates to mmH2O though it is hard to allocate this to a specific point in the network.
(you can obviously measure it with a clear pipe or pressure dial)
hence mostly pipe systems work on a 'net head flow outcome'.

My main issue is that very few methods rate pipe diameter to the pump and/or flow.
All flows have an optimal pipe diameter but even when I have asked people who in the area few are able to point to the calculation (a lot is done empirically by lab testing - which doesn't always mean 100% in the real world).

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

Last edited by dlf_perth on Apr 7th, '18, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Apr 7th, '18, 10:29 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Googled a bit, supposingly 1 psi = 2.3ft head. So to achieve 20psi needs a pump that can handle 46 ft of head or something like a 0.75hp pump.

PostPosted: Apr 8th, '18, 08:16 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Swap out existing retic sprinkler heads for low pressure ones perhaps. Solids could be an issue with fine sprinklers, want to be sure it's well filtered. I've been playing with this where I am now, not fish water, but dam water pumped up to a header tank means fairly poor pressure and some gunk in the water. Gave up on the microsprayers and drippers, wobble head sprinklers work well for me with low pressure dirty water.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Apr 8th, '18, 11:41 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

earthbound wrote:
Swap out existing retic sprinkler heads for low pressure ones perhaps. Solids could be an issue with fine sprinklers, want to be sure it's well filtered. I've been playing with this where I am now, not fish water, but dam water pumped up to a header tank means fairly poor pressure and some gunk in the water. Gave up on the microsprayers and drippers, wobble head sprinklers work well for me with low pressure dirty water.

I am basically giving up on this idea, too expensive (new big azz pump) and potential clogging of landscape emitters,