All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: New to aquaponics
PostPosted: Aug 14th, '13, 07:12 

Are you human?: Yes
I'm new to aquaponics does anyone have any advice for me?

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: New to aquaponics
PostPosted: Aug 14th, '13, 08:00 

Are you human?: Nope! I'm a machine.
Umm... read this forum....do some searches....post questions to things you are stuck on/unsure of after doing a bit of research...post photos so we can see what you are talking about...become a good contributing member...

Welcome by the way.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Aug 14th, '13, 20:25 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: yes
think about the space you are going to use, and what you want to accomplish..and how big you want it..
what kind of fish? start looking for info about that species..
the "ibcofaquaponics" is a great read - link at the top of the msg board

PostPosted: Nov 29th, '13, 04:12 

I am new to aquaponics as well. I thought I would post here rather than making my own thread. Does anyone know what the best liner would be for a DIY wood culture tank? I get wood pallets free from work that would make a good frame. I am thinking about using [link]http://www.pondliner.com/p-921-15-x-20-firestone-45-mil-epdm-pond-liner.aspx[/link] but I am worried about leaked chemicals. If I am going to spend that kind of money I want to make sure it will be "food grade" liner. However more importantly, how would you connect the pieces together to make a water tight seal? Does anyone use silicone in their systems?

This is my first post and I really enjoy the forum you have created here! Thank you for any answer to my questions in advance! ^-^

PostPosted: Dec 2nd, '13, 01:53 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Hi. I made a converted pallet growbed so thought I could share my views.

If that is the size of the liner you are looking at, why would you have to seal multiple pieces together? Unless you want to make a monstrous gigantic growbed that is :) a 15x45 (ft, I'm guessing) liner should actually get you more than one "byap-sized growbeds" or "1/3 of an IBC growbeds"

Also most members use silicone in their systems.

And lastly firestone epdm should be safe but don't quote me on that :)

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Dec 6th, '13, 09:44 

I emailed the company and they said it was safe and they are going to add aquaponic systems in a few months. :p Do you have pictures of your system? I was wondering if i cut a hole in the bottom of the growbed to put my drain pipe in, how i would seal it. I was also wonering how to patch a hole in the material if i ever got one.

What type of tubing do you use? I don't want to use garden hoses or PVC because I heard it was unsafe and leaks toxins into water. (according to google)

PostPosted: Dec 6th, '13, 09:46 

Also, how do you dechlorinate your water? The only thing I really see is reverse osmosis to get everything out of city water and have it be safe but it is really pricy.

PostPosted: Dec 6th, '13, 17:47 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Cinorcim wrote:
I emailed the company and they said it was safe and they are going to add aquaponic systems in a few months. :p Do you have pictures of your system? I was wondering if i cut a hole in the bottom of the growbed to put my drain pipe in, how i would seal it. I was also wonering how to patch a hole in the material if i ever got one.

What type of tubing do you use? I don't want to use garden hoses or PVC because I heard it was unsafe and leaks toxins into water. (according to google)

In mot cases recicrulating the water for more than one day should off gas everything your city water has, with some added aeration. If you are really worried you could try collecting some rain water? Also if you won't be adding fish immediately you shouldn't have too many problems, run the water through your system indefinitely for a few days at least, more to play it safe.

I only haqve chlorine so that was my only concern so if you want more information you should try searching the forum.

For the pipes, you can use bulkhead fittings. If they aren't available there are some ways to fashion the DIY - a quick google search will confirm this. Those + silicone if you like should seal the bed perfectly.

A (very) small hole can be patched using silicone, iirc

Pipes - i use hdpe plumbing parts, you can use those or rigid pvc, it has been discussed a lot in the forum if you try searching for it.

Cheers

Profile Personal album