All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: r/o system booster pump
PostPosted: Jul 21st, '16, 03:58 

Are you human?: yes
I bought a pure-flo reverse osmosis system 50 gpd.I don't have enough pressure from my well to go through the filter.
Does anyone have any experience with booster pumps to make water go through the filters properly.
any advice would be appreciated.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jul 21st, '16, 20:00 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Thought I WAS
What ru attempting to do..
Just purifying well water...????

Can you get an idea of how it works from the connections..

We used to have a passive RO filter but tossed it when we realized how much water was wasted to make a few pints of clear water..

I would expect a motorized unit to pressurise the RO input and the main output would have a back-pressure device to maintain pressure in the RO device and then you would have the filtered water coming from the other side of the RO..

would be good to see connections to get a better idea..

PostPosted: Jul 22nd, '16, 02:27 

My question probably shoud have been,how well do booster pumps work.If I hook up a pump and it runs water through he filter and tries to pump more water through the filter than it can accept will it burn the pump up?

PostPosted: Jul 22nd, '16, 05:45 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

thomas wrote:
I bought a pure-flo reverse osmosis system 50 gpd.I don't have enough pressure from my well to go through the filter.
Does anyone have any experience with booster pumps to make water go through the filters properly.
any advice would be appreciated.

Had the same problem once but was solved with a new well pump, but before they replaced the pump, they blew out the casing with a commercial air compressor using a 1" PE tubing they stuck down the well.

Had a eruption of sand and water for 15 minutes, till the water ran clear, set a new pump/motor, and got 60 psi water pressure.

First get the same service for your well.

PostPosted: Jul 22nd, '16, 07:16 

Nothing wrong with well,it's set for about 40 to 50 psi,I dont want to put to much presure into house pluming as it is under ground below house slab,thats the way they put the pluming in in florida usa.So I cannot get 60 plus psi to filter,thats why I am looking at a booster pump.I have no experiance with this kind of thing and do not understand booster pumps,.I just do not want to burn pump up.

PostPosted: Jul 22nd, '16, 08:14 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

If your not getting the right amount of water from the well, then no matter what size booster you buy, it just won't work.

I grew up in Forest City, FL. Just south of you in Seminole County. All plumbing back then was under the houses, but copper lines were used. but even with PVC its rated at 125 PSI. Don't worry whether your pipes can't handle the psi, they are rated for way more than 40/50. besides those 2 ratings are for when the pump turns on and when it shuts off.

Even if your system is set on 40/50 psi. You won't get that if there is no make up water returning to the well casing to use.

What you need to do is get a well driller to open the well, and check the pump. I'll bet he will tell you that the sand has come up too far into the well casing.

PostPosted: Jul 22nd, '16, 11:02 

No,I think we are not communicating very well.The problem is not the water supply or a bad well It's that the pressure I have the well set at will not push water through the filter.It takes 60 or more psi to get water through the filter I don't have that from my well by choice, I have more than enough water coming out.No restriction on flo.

PostPosted: Jul 22nd, '16, 11:42 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

"It takes 60 or more psi to get water through the filter"

You have a plug intake line on the filter..

PostPosted: Jul 24th, '16, 08:51 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Yes
Pretty simple to do, just need a decent pump shop.

You have an idea about the pressure required but you'll also need to know the flow that the filter will pass in order to spec a pump to suit.

An option will be a variable speed pump set to maintain pressure. The pump will then run at the correct speed to maintain the pressure required