All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: iPhone
PostPosted: Oct 6th, '09, 15:50 
Keep it simple & sweet... I reckon... no RSS or mobile access... too much overhead for the already overworked mods... let alone the mobile tower network...

If you can't access it from home with a computer... and can't access from a work computer...

Well... you probably shouldn't be accessing it during work hours anyway... I'd sack ya...

Advertisement

PostPosted: Oct 6th, '09, 16:25 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Sorry KP, I have no idea....

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Oct 6th, '09, 16:53 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: somewhat
NP Joel.
Rupe gsm for Internet? Too slow. 3g? Unreliable and power hungry. I use wireless.
It's allowed at work so long as customers can't see. We have a tolerant boss. We work our own hours and have a happy healthy workplace.

My System #2

PostPosted: Oct 6th, '09, 21:54 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

KudaPucat wrote:
it's just the fact that you can't read it without zooming, and you can't browse without zomming out... and it's slow...
Playing around is cool, I've managed it for months now, but it's starting to rub.
There are iPhone apps but they need supplementary code added to the server, and I've not yet heard from the mods.

KP,
I use Safari and haven't had a problem surfing the net. Yes - you will have to zoom out to browse. I don't know whether an app will fix that problem.
Stuff on the sides: That's to do with the website design - not the phone!
Slow - is a function of your network provider (whether it is 3G or EDGE) - again not the iPhone. The phone will slow down only if the memory is full of videos/ songs and pix and such.

PostPosted: Oct 6th, '09, 23:30 

KM,
an ap will fix zooming issues, there are many apps about.
Apps, should they be interfaced correctly can change the layout such that the left panel is gone and the posts are easy to read on a phone.
Slowness can be mitigated by not sending expensive overheads such as profile pics, loading a 'reply to' page, displaying all images up front, and a heap of other optimisations.
My phone has 22gb of free space.

Download something like eBay for iPhone app or facebook app and you will see what I mean.
Phpbb is designed first up for a pc with heaps of screen real-estate, processing power and fast Internet.
I'm asking does anybody know of a forum viewer app that is lightweight, and works, or does anybody know of a good forum viewer app that I can ask the mods to add support for.
I started this thread cos I didn't want to blindly ask for something that was either redundant, or so specific that I'd be the only user.

My System #2

PostPosted: Oct 7th, '09, 06:07 

Perhaps if you could get GreaseMonkey for it and write/find a custom script for these types of forums .I think there's some effort going towards it (GreasePocket) that you may be able to look into.

PostPosted: Oct 8th, '09, 09:32 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

I know you are looking for a iPhone solution, but the Nokia N900 is the new king of smartphones IMHO. 800x480 resolution for all your browsing needs, no need for special mobile versions of pages.

Linux OS for free open source software
Multitasking
Slide out keyboard, TV out, usb, IR, 32GB+16GB SD card, 5mp camera with dual LED flash, 848x480 video recording, FM transmitter
Inbuilt support for .mp4, .avi, .wmv, .3gp; codecs: H.264, MPEG-4, Xvid, WMV, H.263 so you don't need massage video into apple formats

Unfortunately not yet released here, and will probably not have the band required for NextG. If I wasn't locked into Helstra due to rural coverage requirements I would have ordered one from OS already

PostPosted: Oct 8th, '09, 12:18 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
Kuda, I have experienced the same problems with my iPhone and Safari. I am glad you started this thread. Unfortunately I can offer no solution. It may be no consolation to you, BUT........ I try to put the iphone (or smartphones in general) into perspective. You are surfing the net on a phone, couldn't do that not long ago. How cool is that. Faster would be better but its a freaking phone. In five more years this thread may be irrelevant but for now I think we are luckier than poor ole Rupe that is "tied" to his computer and his phone is only a........well a ..........Phone. (You know I am messing with you John :wink: ) Take that for what its worth from an ole redneck in Mississippi

Don't be grumpy be happy. :)

PostPosted: Oct 8th, '09, 13:56 

I'm not grumpy jd...
now I know nobody has had this problem, I will download an pay for a phpbb reading app of iTunes
then I will petition Joel to add the script they supply to make it work, then for $2 you and I can browse the forum in comfort and style ;-)

My System #2

PostPosted: Oct 15th, '09, 19:58 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Way to go KP. Let me know how it goes.

PostPosted: Oct 15th, '09, 23:25 
KudaPucat wrote:
then for $2 you and I can browse the forum in comfort and style ;-)

Does your session get disconnected whenever you receive a call or text.... or want to make a call/text/twatter... or take a photo...

And if so, does that mean you have to pay another $2 to reconnect... :dontknow:

And do you have to pay for mb/downloads???

PostPosted: Oct 16th, '09, 03:11 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: no
There is no such app. Every website is different, they all scale differently. You wont find a one-app-does-all solution to this problem.

A 3rd party app may be able to render a website differently locally, however your phone would be required to download the entire page first anyway.

There is something pretty close to what you want out there, but it does require modification to the phpBB forum software so that requests are served with a cut down version of the site. The app name is 'TouchBB Forum Browser', more information on the phpBB modifications at http://www.messageforums.net/iphoneforumreader.php

I've browsed BYAP on the iPhone, whilst not as fast as on a PC obviously, I am concious of the fact that I'm using a handheld device with a 3.5" screen and find it perfectly acceptable. :)

PostPosted: Oct 16th, '09, 03:35 

Touchbb is one of the apps I was referring to.
I have recently downloaded it, and will be pming Joel some time in the next 3 months (let's not rush it)

rupe: yes. Everybody pays for their Internet connection. No it doesn't disconnect your session, or if it does it reconnects seamlessly and quickly. The $2 is for the software. You pay it once only, but I recently discovered that touchbb has a lite version, for free.
Most ppl have a plan such as the 1gb plan I have. Despite now using my iPhone exclusively for eBay, BYAP, facebook, personal email etc, I've been unable to even get near the 1gb limit.

I think the iPhone is great in terms of usability and function. Apple have been leading the way in personal devices since the iPod. Even though it never had as good a sound as it's competetors, it's UI made up for that. I'm willing for now to overlook the iPhone's primitive pre win 3.1 multitasking. Push notifications make up for that somewhat.
It grieves me that you have had nothing on topic to say here and everything you have said has been derogatory or deriding.
This topic, in case you were confused is not about the validity of the iPhone as a piece of consumer electronics, it's about iPhone users coordinating themselves so we all use the best gear and don't each individually ask that the mods make custom modifications for each of us.

My System #2

PostPosted: Oct 16th, '09, 03:41 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: no
KudaPucat wrote:
Touchbb is one of the apps I was referring to.
It grieves me that you have had nothing on topic to say here and everything you have said has been derogatory or deriding.

Who are you talking to?

PostPosted: Oct 16th, '09, 04:09 

Big <snip> missing from your quote there Mr Orange. The first paragraph was for you.
You may notice the bit where I say
Quote:
<snip> rupe: yes. Everybody pays for their Internet connection. No it doesn't disconnect your session <snip>

most of my post was directed to Rupert. However I was mildly grumpy and would remove the post were it possible.

My System #2

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next