All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: iPhone App
PostPosted: Feb 8th, '10, 13:11 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: somewhat
yah I know, there's even a free app, I just haven't had the energy to petition Joel for the mods required... he's busy enough without such self serving petitions. I put a thread out about it, and got very little support, so decided not to be selfish.
It'd be nice to be able to upload photos fromt eh iphone, amongst other benefits

My System #2

Advertisement

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '10, 13:29 
Ahhh yes... virus dessimination and DOS attacks via the iPhone.... I can hardly wait... :lol:

Trust me... it will happen... it's just such an obvious route for the hackers to take... :wink:

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '10, 14:11 
In fact it has.... and here in OZ...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... 737673.htm

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/mobi ... -i74f.html

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iPhone-Viru ... -5059.html

http://www.forbes.com/2009/11/08/iphone ... r=yahootix

http://www.forbes.com/2009/07/28/hacker ... ckers.html

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '10, 14:36 

accidental denial of service occurred with geocities, cos somebody wrote a cool app for free that hammered their server. They had to change their IP!

My System #2

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '10, 14:53 
That's the problem I have with the iPhone access to computer services and ISP's Kuda...

1) they're unsecured

2) they're transmitted by unsecured digital mobile towers... (anyone can hack them)

3) they are designed to allow unfettered access to all other phones on the network

4) they are designed to share, or allow sharing of addressbooks and files...

I wouldn't allow an iPhone access to any of my computer networks...

On the other hand ... the Blackberry is secured and encrypted... :wink:

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '10, 15:06 

Yah, but the blackberry is crap.
Apple rigid policy on who can write apps and their vetting of content will at least slow hackers. You'd have to be really serious about causing harm, of which there are few ppl or organisations about. If you're that paranoid, you assuming you already have enemies.

My System #2

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '10, 15:16 
KudaPucat wrote:
accidental denial of service occurred with geocities, cos somebody wrote a cool app for free that hammered their server. They had to change their IP!

KudaPucat wrote:
Apple rigid policy on who can write apps and their vetting of content will at least slow hackers

Didn't you read the links Kuda... that's simply not true.... particularly for those that have "modded" their phones....

Both the "Astley" attack, and the DOS you mentioned... just go to show...

And, as I said... anyone can hack the mobile network... and SMS (silently) to any number...

And that's the nature of hackers/virus writters... they do it ...coz they can... or to prove a point....

Not to single out anyone, or their "paranoia".... :roll:

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '10, 16:38 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
Well how about we forget about whats good and bad and get back on topic.

I think an app to record water temps etc would be magnificent.

What about planted today, harvested today - time difference.

embi's aquaponics system

My Weather Station

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '10, 16:57 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Vegetable
If only apple had jammed a pH and salinity measure into their phone it'd be the perfect tool.

I think the iPad is hype, but my girlfriend is prepared to wait for it over a netbook.

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '10, 18:25 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: yes
yeah a program for AP would be great but maybe for other things than a fad like icrap. maybe you could stick a ph testing strip to ya ipad and dunk it in ya fish tank at least then it would actually do something usefull. My notebook does every thing I want it to do including running two things at once. And my dopod runs a windows based mobile software that could utilise an AP program too.

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '10, 20:08 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: no
RupertofOZ wrote:
That's the problem I have with the iPhone access to computer services and ISP's Kuda...

1) they're unsecured

To start, I'm not a mac fan - with one exception. I own an iPhone because frankly nothing comes close. Nothing is hack proof, but the iPhone to date has proved to be very secure. This has alot to do with the application approval process. The only exploit to date has been to jailbroken phones. You can not hold this against apple or the iphone. A user voids there warranty when they do this so I have no sympathy, the user must accept full responsibility

RupertofOZ wrote:
2) they're transmitted by unsecured digital mobile towers... (anyone can hack them)

LOL - not true. 3G uses 128bit - A5/3 encryption. This hadn't even been cracked until Jan this year, even after they figured out how to do it, it then took a team of engineers 2 hours to decrypt the key (note: the key changes for each call / session), so hardly able to snoop in real-time, nor can 'anyone' hack them.

RupertofOZ wrote:
3) they are designed to allow unfettered access to all other phones on the network

Again I can't agree with this. iPhone's can only talk with other iPhone's via approved applications, it's not unfettered

RupertofOZ wrote:

How? You can forward a contact, but you can do that on just about any phone.

RupertofOZ wrote:
I wouldn't allow an iPhone access to any of my computer networks...

On the other hand ... the Blackberry is secured and encrypted... :wink:

Even though Windows/Microsoft is my business, to be perfectly frank, the iPhone is more secure than a windows PC. I think you need to loosen your tinfoil hat or stop using computers all together, that's the only real way to be 'safe' :)

As for the OP, iPhone App to track AP system params would be cool, would be great if those could then be published to a website that we can link to.

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '10, 20:33 
MrOrange wrote:
To start, I'm not a mac fan - with one exception. I own an iPhone because frankly nothing comes close. Nothing is hack proof, but the iPhone to date has proved to be very secure. This has alot to do with the application approval process. The only exploit to date has been to jailbroken phones. You can not hold this against apple or the iphone. A user voids there warranty when they do this so I have no sympathy, the user must accept full responsibility

I'd wager that a large percentage of iPhones have been "jailbroken"... :wink:

Quote:
LOL - not true. 3G uses 128bit - A5/3 encryption. This hadn't even been cracked until Jan this year, even after they figured out how to do it, it then took a team of engineers 2 hours to decrypt the key (note: the key changes for each call / session), so hardly able to snoop in real-time, nor can 'anyone' hack them.

Bollocks, all security forces monitor ALL mobile calls... and many private investigators, papparazzi etc can do so as well.... there are programs in the "hackers" public domian that can do so in a flash...

Quote:
Again I can't agree with this. iPhone's can only talk with other iPhone's via approved applications, it's not unfettered

Incorrect... iPhone's can talk to any other phone, or be used on any network... especially if "jailbroken"... it's one of the main reasons for doing so...

Yes an "unbroken" iPhone running only approved "apps" is a slightly different story...

Quote:

How? You can forward a contact, but you can do that on just about any phone.

You can share a lot more than "contacts".... most phones can... :lol:

Quote:
Even though Windows/Microsoft is my business, to be perfectly frank, the iPhone is more secure than a windows PC.

This might be true... for exactly the same reasons.... most user either just don't know how to secure their PC/phone./... or just don't care...

Enabling access to the server and forum application , and read/write permissions... IS ASECURITY RISK...FULLSTOP...

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '10, 20:37 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
I'm loathed to play too much with the forum adding mods, years back we had an extremely modded forum, all sorts of bells and whistles but things started to go wrong. The guy who provided the modded version went AWOL, and we were lucky to get away with loosing very little and getting it all up and running again, I think the board ended up being down for a couple of weeks or more.. Scary times.... :crazy:

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Feb 8th, '10, 20:56 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: no
RupertofOZ wrote:

Bollocks, all security forces monitor ALL mobile calls... and many private investigators, papparazzi etc can do so as well.... there are programs in the "hackers" public domian that can do so in a flash...

Your statements look like they've been gleaned from a hollywood film or CSI. There is absolutely no way in hell private investigators or papparazzi have the means to crack the A5/3 cipher. You must've glazed over the point where I said it had not been cracked until the 15th of Jan 2010.

Law enforcement agencies can get intercepts in place after seeking a valid court order. They do not 'hack' the network. We have privacy laws in this country for a reason.

As a testiment to how accessible good encryption is to the average user. You could download truecrypt (free, open-source), encrypt a file with AES-256 using a suitably random sequence for master key file (move mouse for a while) and a very long password, no law enforcement agency in the world would have the time nor interest to ever decrypt it.

Quote:
In June 2003, after the NSA (US National Security Agency) conducted a review and analysis of AES, the U.S. CNSS (Committee on National Security Systems) announced in [1] that the design and strength of AES-256 (and AES-192) are sufficient to protect classified information up to the Top Secret level.

Unless you're hiding something top-secret no one would even bother to attempt that and even then the US government feels it's pretty secure ;)

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '10, 20:58 
http://www.momlogic.com/2009/07/warning ... be_hac.php

http://www.fiercemobileit.com/story/new ... 2009-07-27

iPhone used to “hack” the PS3… thought to be “unhackable…

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8478764.stm

And unlocking the iPhone goes back several years… and is now as simple as…

http://www.intomobile.com/2008/07/28/ip ... e-way.html

http://news.softpedia.com/news/iPhone-3 ... 5178.shtml

“Jailbreaking” an iPhone…. Is a hack… :roll:

And the iPhone has built in sharing... peer to peer connectivity... :roll:

It's an officially supported "app"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next