All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Nov 22nd, '17, 04:29 

Are you human?: yes
hi

Temperatures in Melbourne have finally started to raise but i see long winter again. Last year the cold lasted for very long and the growth in my small farm which sits in my balcony was not encouraging. i have silvers but will have trout this year. My question is as i am thinking of building a bigger system than the balcony one what is the best way of dealing with cold weather given you have a green house. i saw some videos of compost heating online and geo thermal heating. what would be the best for a 18m x 5m green house? And with the crops which crop are good for acquaponic system to a place like Melbourne. Because i dint have pretty good results with broccoli, cauliflower and broad beans especially if the water gets very cold. i am looking for ecnomical ways of heating water. On the side note is it ok to plant lattuce in summer here in dwc beds or should i go with something else. i am planning a new system with 1000 liter ibc tank 1 10 feet gravel bed and a 10 feet long dwc bed.

thanks in advance for the help.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 1st, '17, 03:59 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: YES
I would just use a low energy space heater, or, a heater for the water. I don't know about that geo-composting stuff to heat it. And lettuce will do great in a DWC bed, I know that.