All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: May 18th, '14, 08:53 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
HI all,
I thought I'd do a quick tutorial on how to add images to posts. I'm sure there are other methods, but these are the two ways I do it. I hope this helps newbies out with one of the bits of functionality which I found not altogether intuitive.

So first you need to resize your images to not more than 800 pixels wide and 600 pixels high. That's a pretty big image for a forum/blog post, as you can see from the images I have used in this tute. There is plenty of guidance in the Resizing and adding pictures. thread re what applications people use for resizing. I'm a Mac person (at home) and I use Imagewell or Seashore, but there are hundreds of excellent, cheap or free apps for doing this task on Windows or Mac. Note also that not all image format are supported. I use jpg format. Any app that can resize an image should be able to save the image in a variety of formats.

The two ways I use for inserting images into posts are:
- Upload the image to the forum using the 'Upload attachment' dialogue and insert the image inline using the 'Place inline' button on the editor. Note that there is a limit of three images using this method.
- Load the image to my online photo site (flickr, photobucket, etc) and then insert the URL (the web address) for the image into the post using the 'Img' button on the editor.

Lets walk through each of these methods.

The 'Upload attachment' and 'Place inline' method.

Remember that there is a limit of three images using this method.

First you need to use the 'Full editor' not the 'Quick reply' editor. If you start a new thread (Topic) you automatically get the 'Full editor', but if you are reading an existing thread and want to reply, you need to click the 'Full editor' button (circled red in the picture below) if you want to add images.
Attachment:
Full editor_scaled_annotated.jpg
Full editor_scaled_annotated.jpg [ 34.32 KiB | Viewed 14895 times ]

Once you are in the 'Full editor', when you want to add an image click on the 'Browse' button (circled red in the picture below), select your image, and then click the 'Add the file' button (circled red in the picture below). If your image is resized appropriately and is an allowed file format, it should upload.
Attachment:
Add The File_scaled_annotated.jpg
Add The File_scaled_annotated.jpg [ 127.66 KiB | Viewed 14895 times ]

You should now see a new section called 'Attachments' added to the editor. Place your cursor at the location in your typed text where you want your image inserted, then click the 'Place inline' button (circled red in the picture below).
Attachment:
Place inline_scaled_annotated.jpg
Place inline_scaled_annotated.jpg [ 127.47 KiB | Viewed 14895 times ]

The image code will be inserted into the editor at the location of your cursor (circled red in the picture below).
To see if the image is where you wanted it click on the 'Preview' button below the editor.
[Note how my picture below looks a bit different to the previous three (border etc). This is because I have hit the three image limit of this method so now I have to use the second method explained next.

Well that's it for this method. Pretty simple, but limited to three images per post.

The load elsewhere and insert as 'Img' method.

For this method you also need to use the 'Full editor'. This method can be a bit trickier depending on the photo site you use, as you have to learn how to find and copy the URL (web address) for your image after you have uploaded the image. I can't walk you through that as it is different depending on the photo site you use, and can change from time to time when your photo site changes it's user interface.

First, upload your images to your photo site (flickr, photobucket, whatever), and ensure the photos are set to allow public viewing.

In the 'Full editor', when you want to add an image, place your cursor at the location in your typed text where you want your image inserted and click on the 'Img' button (circled green in the picture below).
Note that you can mouse-over (hover your mouse over but don't click) the 'Img' button (or any of those buttons at the top of the editor to see usage examples (circled red in the picture below).

You will see the 'Img' code added and your cursor will be positioned between the two 'Img' tags. Paste in the URL (web address) of the image you uploaded to your photo site. It should end up something like the example circled red in the picture below.
To see if the image is where you wanted it click on the 'Preview' button below the editor.

That's it for this method. Again, pretty simple, but only once you have learnt how to get the URL for the image at your photo site.

I hope this helps people to post pictures as looking at how other members build their systems and solve problems is one of the great joys of this community.

Cheers, Tallman.

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 18th, '14, 09:07 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Excellent work Tallman... :thumbright: I've stickied this so it's easy to find. :headbang:

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: May 18th, '14, 09:56 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Cheers mate.

PostPosted: Aug 25th, '15, 17:43 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: mostly
[bump with search words] how to add pictures how to add images how to add photos

text version...

post pics.. (using PC browser)

(1) pics must be downsized to be less than 800x600pixels before trying to load
(use some picture editing package like IrfanView that has a resize option)

(2) in the full editor click 'choose file' in the upload attachment box and select file

(3) filename appears beside 'choose file' - then click 'add the file'
a small load dialogue comes up while it loads

(4) if it works the image name appears in the attachment box below the text input box.

(5) click where you want to place it and then click on 'place inline'
you should see text appear in the text input box like " attachment=xxxxx_DF-myimage.jpg /attachment
with square brackets.

(6) you have to click preview to see the image and how it will look (recommend before posting)

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

PostPosted: Aug 28th, '15, 20:51 
A posting God
A posting God

[update] Image size limit @Aug2015 is actually 900x900 - stated in error message when load is not successful.

(just uploaded a 867 pixel image)

PostPosted: Nov 3rd, '15, 17:10 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Nice! :-)

PostPosted: Nov 27th, '16, 10:08 
A posting God
A posting God

How to get your photos below 900x900

an easy option to get photos of the required size is to simply display the image on your screen and then use the Windows Snipping Tool (windows 7, 8 and 10) to simply grab the image and save it as jpg.

To keep under 900x900 your image will need to be about quarter of your screen (not full screen) just like other forum pictures appear in your browser.

** if you have a big screen just an image about the size of an old traditional photo or the new post input text box.
much better small images in posts than massive ones that are too large look at.

** there are other screen capture software like snipping tool

[edit] to find snipping tool in windows 10 - open Cortana search and type 'snipping tool' where it says 'ask me anything'. When Snipping Tool Desktop App appears in list right click on it and pin it to your task bar / start menu.
Or left click to run it, then click 'new' and draw a box over your picture with the mouse.

PostPosted: Apr 3rd, '17, 01:02 

Are you human?: YES
Thanks!!