All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: New tester aquafarm
PostPosted: Jun 16th, '14, 20:54 

Are you human?: Yes
Hi Guys and Gals,
I have just set up a tiny little aquafarm. My deal is as much of an ongoing science project for my step daughter as it is the start of a long time dream of my own. Therefore, right now my set up is just a 35 gallon pond, with about 9 Shebunkins, 3 snails, and I am trying to grow leafy greens. The system has been operating for about two weeks and I am concerned about some yellowing of the leaves in my garden. The leaves are turning a "spotty" yellow, not a complete - every inch of the leaf turning yellow. I am wondering if any more experienced aquafarmers out there might be able to give some advice as to what might be the problem.
I have to admit, i just read the Intro to Aquaponics PDF and believe that my problem might be that I did not start the system properly. I basically filled the water, removed the chlorimines, put the fish in, then set up several leafy greens that were already a few weeks old. However, according to the PDF, I feel like I didn't let the ammonia, nitrites and nitrate bacteria cycles take effect. Could this be the problem?
I'm an experienced hydroponic grower, but this whole "adding fish into the mix" is something that I am not too savvy with.
Any thoughts would be great.

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: New tester aquafarm
PostPosted: Jun 16th, '14, 21:23 
Legend Member
Legend Member

The bacteria cycles will happen - especially since you have fish which a) come from the store with a gut full of the bacteria we want b) produce food for those bacteria.

Can you take some pictures of your plants?

PostPosted: Jun 16th, '14, 21:39 

Are you human?: I'm a pleasure droid
Welcome to the forum jla21!

We need more info, is this a media bed or? Pictures would help. The forum is limited to 800x600, use the Full Editor button at the bottom to attach images (up to 3 at a time). HTH

Plant and fish pictures are money

PostPosted: Jun 16th, '14, 22:09 

Thank you guys so much for replying to my inquiry.

My "grow beds" are basically two downspouts that I drilled the 2" holes in for the net pots. In these two runs the water is continuously running; being pumped up to the top end of the spouts, then running down back into the pond. (I have no idea what the technical name for this water delivery method is called.) Then there is a 3rd run, in which I have a clay-rock growing media, and then a slow drip from the same pond/pump that eventually runs down and drips back into the pond. (I rinsed the clay rocks thoroughly before introducing them to the pond.) Each run has about 4-5 plants growing in them, all leafy greens.

The continuous running of the water is what I figured would be the oxygen creating source, plus I have another air bubbler that is well over what might be required for a 35 gallon pond.

Other recent factors that might be contributing:

1. I had a few bamboo stalks in the pond. I was thinking it would provide a bit of natural shade. I just chopped them, rinsed them and stuck them in there for aesthetic value. But after a few days of waking up each morning and cleaning out leaves that had fallen, I removed them and just am just providing a sun cover for the pond. I am wondering if decaying bamboo might have been a bad addition to the chemical mix in the pond?

2. Since setting up the pond, we have had as many rainy days as not. That's about about six big thunderstorms in about 10 days. This is a pond that is not in a greenhouse, so might that be a factor in the yellowing leaves, or any thoughts in general on what to do after a big storm?

ps: I thought I should mention, and it's probably pretty obvious to anyone reading this, that I am not currently growing the fish end of this "aquafarm" for food production.

Thanks for any info.

Sincerely,
Jason

Attachments:
yellow_lvs.jpg
yellow_lvs.jpg [ 57.95 KiB | Viewed 3317 times ]
PostPosted: Jun 16th, '14, 22:27 
Legend Member
Legend Member

im not sure that your system has enough media to provide biological filtration. Instead of the 3rd run of downspout with clay-rocks, could you incorporate something like a cement mixing tray. Plumb the tray with a standpipe, add media, and not only do you get filtering, but then you can grow plants there as well.

PostPosted: Jul 26th, '15, 22:24 

Are you human?: yes
It looks like shortage of iron. Our mulberry tree leaves had the same yellow pattern till we dosed it with iron on recommendation of a horticulturalist