All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jul 17th, '16, 22:29 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: YES
Hi all,
without stepping on toes I must say, aquaponic farmers must be a special breed.

i have posted my plans in 4 forums in US-AU-GER but in none of these I got more of a reply as

"hello welcome here"

I have invested about 25000Eur in an aquaponic test farm of 120sqm and thought joining some forums will help a lot to expand my plans for going commercial and exchange experiences and getting help in questions i have.

Poor performance and it looks everybody wants to keep his/her experiences for him/herself.

Is that honestly all here, everybody has aquaponics and nobody knows about or is willing to share out of his toolbox??

Cheers

Will

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jul 17th, '16, 23:26 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Hi Will,
I must have missed your post. What issues are you having? Most folks on here are very willing to help with problems.

PostPosted: Jul 17th, '16, 23:45 

Hi See Will,

While we do have a few commercial growers here, the majority of the people are backyard growers. I think it's probably more of a situation where most people who've looked at your posts don't feel qualified to answer your plumbing questions.

I did have a couple of thoughts on at least one of the designs and will post them in that thread.

PostPosted: Jul 18th, '16, 00:07 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am very glad for any reply, there is always something usable in even a very small doubt. Going big is really leaning from basic again. My small 120 sqm farm was after 4 years too small to get me more answers. And it fed 15 households of a village, lots of chickens and the buffalo that wrecked the system finally.

PostPosted: Jul 18th, '16, 04:42 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: no
As others have said we are just backyarders a set up that size is way out of our league

PostPosted: Jul 18th, '16, 05:22 

Are you human?: Or are we dancers
Why are you expecting commercial experience from people on a forum called backyard aquaponics? I thought the title of this forum would kind of give it away that were not massive scale. Alot of us have less grow beds than you can count on 1 hand.

PostPosted: Jul 18th, '16, 06:24 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Yep, backyard is backyard.. Chances are, the extremely small handful of people who may be commercial and members on here, are probably so busy making their business work that they don't get any time to spend on here.

If you had a 120sqm system that fed 15 houses and lots of animals, you have probably already done more than 99% of the forum members. Do you have pictures of your 120sqm system? Can you provide any details about it? This would be a great help for others to see and hear about operating a system of this size.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Jul 18th, '16, 08:03 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: maybe
See Will wrote:
I am very glad for any reply, there is always something usable in even a very small doubt. Going big is really leaning from basic again. My small 120 sqm farm was after 4 years too small to get me more answers. And it fed 15 households of a village, lots of chickens and the buffalo that wrecked the system finally.

if you said the word commercial and newbie in the same sentence, there is a very good reason you didnt get a reply.

do you have any idea how many people have come through this one forum alone saying "hi, im new and going to start abusiness in AP and become a millionaire"???

every third *frack* person, how many succeed? about 3 in every thousand.....

PostPosted: Jul 18th, '16, 09:24 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Quote:
if you said the word commercial and newbie in the same sentence, there is a very good reason you didnt get a reply.

do you have any idea how many people have come through this one forum alone saying "hi, im new and going to start abusiness in AP and become a millionaire"???

I see some people woke up, at least any reply here.

beside I am out of a commercial farmers family who has huge sucess in the Netherlands and Germany, Thailand is another climate and this farm will be mainly dedicated for the people of my family who worked their bones till worn out and the younger generation that will follow, with common farming for the Rice YOU might find on YOUR plate for 49 cent a go.
But also these traditional rice farmers haven't had more experience beside the test farm I built and they have seen, there is a lot easier way to make a living as kreeping though the ricefields for minimum payment, just for YOUR Rice, hence the word newbies is suiting best.
My testfield was a great step of learning for all of us.
Even I put all the knowledge gathered in Europe into it but it was just 120sqm, next step is 1800 sqm.

We are talking not about becoming a millionaire but I have taken over the responsiblity for my family in law, that I want to support the best way.
I don't want to see my brothers/sisters nephews and nieces in law, ending the same way as their parents and grandparents working their bones rotten for YOUR rice!

I was working all my life offshore and therefrom 25 years as Senior Manager and I still do, so the millionaire is already manyfold created, don't worry about that!
But also a millionaire is a person that has worked hard for his money and does not want to burn any of it, and this *frack* person estimates that you Yavimaya, if you would have had the same success I had in life, you would be sitting in a Ferrari, that is still not paid off and bullying others *frackers* on the street for their poorness. Luckily you didn't. :bootyshake:

PostPosted: Jul 18th, '16, 10:15 

Are you human?: Or are we dancers
This got strange fast. I really have no idea what your problem is. You come on a forum where people don't have more than $1000 invested in their systems in most cases, asking for info on a system your spending at least 50 times that on. Then get all high and mighty when people point this out. If you want real information on something, and are as well off as you say, you should know that your going to need to ask someone with a similar business, and probably have to pay for that knowledge.

Asking people who don't run much more than a chop and flip about a whopping scale aquaponics setup is just stupid, and points out that you may not be as smart as you think you are.

PostPosted: Jul 18th, '16, 11:48 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: maybe
See Will wrote:

I see some people woke up, at least any reply here.

beside I am out of a commercial farmers family who has huge sucess in the Netherlands and Germany, Thailand is another climate and this farm will be mainly dedicated for the people of my family who worked their bones till worn out and the younger generation that will follow, with common farming for the Rice YOU might find on YOUR plate for 49 cent a go.
But also these traditional rice farmers haven't had more experience beside the test farm I built and they have seen, there is a lot easier way to make a living as kreeping though the ricefields for minimum payment, just for YOUR Rice, hence the word newbies is suiting best.
My testfield was a great step of learning for all of us.
Even I put all the knowledge gathered in Europe into it but it was just 120sqm, next step is 1800 sqm.

We are talking not about becoming a millionaire but I have taken over the responsiblity for my family in law, that I want to support the best way.
I don't want to see my brothers/sisters nephews and nieces in law, ending the same way as their parents and grandparents working their bones rotten for YOUR rice!

I was working all my life offshore and therefrom 25 years as Senior Manager and I still do, so the millionaire is already manyfold created, don't worry about that!
But also a millionaire is a person that has worked hard for his money and does not want to burn any of it, and this *frack* person estimates that you Yavimaya, if you would have had the same success I had in life, you would be sitting in a Ferrari, that is still not paid off and bullying others *frackers* on the street for their poorness. Luckily you didn't. :bootyshake:

huh?

i gave a standard response, what you must realise is 3 things.....

no one in any commercial industry just gives out info to people who may want to become competition at some point.

there is only a very fledgling AP industry, 99.9% of people are backyarders, you cant expect there to be commercial info out there.... anywhere without paying big $$ for proper training at a reputable institute/ university.

this is a backyarder forum, they all are.... if you want info on more commercial aspects, hire paul from "earthan group" or go pay for a course at university of virgin islands....

PostPosted: Jul 18th, '16, 12:31 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

In order to calm this thread down a little, from my very limited knowledge, the best thing for you to do would be to visit some of the threads in the Commercial farming subforum on here.

I would go to Chatterson's farm page and read both his threads. Ryan knows a lot about AP and is willing to share the basics and some not so basic info with us.

If you can afford it, and you sound like you can, book in for his next AP session. It is about $2000 US and you just need to get there to do it. It would not be throwing away your money.

You would learn more about commercial AP there in a few days than coming here and asking around.

You will find that as YAV mentioned, we do see a lot of people come and go here. instead of asking people to comment on your thread, read the other ones on here, and comment with questions if you have them. That may be a better strategy.

Be careful of other here that may be spruiking services. Always ask first before paying for information. There is always an opinion on people selling their knowledge here.

and post pictures of the new and old system.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Jul 18th, '16, 12:40 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Also, I just read your 1st post, and you vaguely laid out your plans for the new system, but did not ask for comments good or bad. You need to put specification or drawings, or something for people to comment on.

If you want feedback, the best was to get it is to ask. But be aware that you will get positive and negative criticism. Take it all in the spirit it is given, and do not get angry at others for perceived insults, as they may not mean it that way. For some, English is a second language, and what may look like being blunt or rude is often just a way of translating into English that may seem harsh, but is in fact, not.

PostPosted: Jul 18th, '16, 12:44 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Oops.

Just read your other thread.

Sorry, you do ask for comments, and you do give an idea of what you are doing.

Sorry about that.

PostPosted: Jul 18th, '16, 12:47 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Yes
A lot of rage going on. Just to note, Australia exports more rice than we import, and a good chunk of this forum is Australian

I've got a video on commercial AP, but I don't think you'll watch it, so I won't post it here. But one of the things I talk about is the difference between a commercial and backyard system.

If you try and take my backyard system, and just make it 200 times bigger, it won't work as well as a properly designed commercial system. You need to process the solids, mineralisation tanks/or trickle filters, or whatever else you need. Then there is drum filters, fish stocking vs flow rates vs water quantity vs filtration media, inputs vs outputs, nutrient profiles of different plants.

Taking advice off a forum for a commercial system isn't a great idea, you don't know the difference between me and Ryan Chatterson, and could take our advice with the same level of trust. If you want to learn how to make a commercial system, we can point you to some good resources that'll help you develop it, but they won't be free.

Yav's right, we get a lot of commercial dreamers coming through here. A lot, do a 5 minute search and you'll see the same cut and copied responses.

My Aquaponic Youtube Channel

The Black-Byron Ice Creamery Youtube Channel