All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Apr 9th, '17, 21:09 

Are you human?: yes
Hello,

Well I have found most of the required components and am about to embark on the assembly of my very first system. Have big plans but am forcing myself to start small with a dual IBC system. Hoping to add some half barrel grow beds at a later stage. Fingers crossed, I am sure there will be plenty challenges ahead ( for one I have to figure out how to keep the fish tank temperature down enough in the summer at 43 Degrees C outside air temperature) Thinking about putting it half in the ground.

Wish me luck, will post some pics when it is all up and running but given time constrains that could take a month or so.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 9th, '17, 22:59 

Are you human?: YES
Welcome to the forum Bear68 :wave:. Looking forward to the pictures :headbang:

PostPosted: Apr 17th, '17, 19:14 

Hi! looking forward to hear from you how to keep temperature down. We are on a roof terrace in Malta and summers are hot too here.

Unfortunately we can not burying anything in the ground but if we were on the soil, I would definately do the same. We are looking for opportunities to do geothermal storage (store the wintercold in the ground and use it in the summer)

how is your situation?

Bear68 wrote:
Hello,

Well I have found most of the required components and am about to embark on the assembly of my very first system. Have big plans but am forcing myself to start small with a dual IBC system. Hoping to add some half barrel grow beds at a later stage. Fingers crossed, I am sure there will be plenty challenges ahead ( for one I have to figure out how to keep the fish tank temperature down enough in the summer at 43 Degrees C outside air temperature) Thinking about putting it half in the ground.

Wish me luck, will post some pics when it is all up and running but given time constrains that could take a month or so.

we push the transition to a fairer and sustainable society

PostPosted: Aug 13th, '17, 19:06 

The heat has defeated me for the moment. It was too hot in the workshop or outside . Have the system half finished and plan to complete in October when the weather cools down. Also still waiting for the hydrocorn to ship from Saudi.

PostPosted: Aug 23rd, '17, 17:12 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: Yes
I'm not sure if this is a crazy idea or an act of genius (probably the former!) but if you get an old mini(?) fridge and have a coiled pipe inside that the water has to pass through in order to return to the fish tank then depending on the size of the system and the fridge this may just reduce the temp. Drill an entrance and exit hole in the sides of the old fridge, feed the pipe in, coil it round and back out again on the opposite side.

The opposite can be done for those who wish to add heat in winter. Use a black pipe, coil it and sit it in a box lined with reflective silver paper and try to catch as much sunlight as possible. It may only add a couple of degrees but that may be enough!

Ooh I just read that back...... :laughing3: ...... You never know! KE

PostPosted: Aug 23rd, '17, 19:51 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: mostly
>> but if you get an old mini(?) fridge and have a coiled pipe inside that the water has to pass through in order to return to the fish tank then depending on the size of the system and the fridge this may just reduce the temp.

you would need a big fridge and basically would be losing to the heat every time it passed through the grow beds & media.

similar the heating idea requires a lot more than that.

If these types of simple solutions were all that was required there would be more fish being carried much longer all around the world. Basically heating/cooling requires a lot of energy and rapidly becomes cost/energy inefficient. It is actually more efficient to simply keep tanks inside and air condition..... the plants would need diffuse, filtered light in that case.

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '17, 03:24 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Never having tried it I didn't believe it could be that simple to cool :oops:

However here in France people do have black pipes coiled in a circle on the roof of the house (or garage because it's lower) and pump water through it to take the chill off outdoor swimming pools. It was after seeing that I thought that maybe the cooling idea might work. But thinking about it. Nah, your right! Forget it.

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '17, 07:34 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
"Dicko" successfully used a large sealed operational chest freezer to keep his trout cool in summer, others have ground pipes, I used among other things frozen 3 Lt plastic milk bottles with water stored in a near by chest freezer to stabalize FT water at 22-23 C in 43 C ambient.

1 viewtopic.php?t=27800
2 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27965
3 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28231

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '17, 13:38 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Just googled the power prices in Bahrain and did an exchange conversion to Australian Dollars.

Worked out to about 1/7th of what we're paying in Adelaide!

At those prices it might be economical to use a chiller

PostPosted: Aug 25th, '17, 18:42 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: mostly
>> However here in France people do have black pipes coiled in a circle on the roof of the house

that definitely works well and is good here in Australia as well.
Widely used for swimming pools.
But it mainly goes well in the spring/autumn period and becomes too hot in summer.
(so must be taken off line). A few people have used this type of approach to squeeze out a few extra months around the forum.

The main issue is the extra pump capacity needed to deal with the pipe length.

Cooling is probably a bigger challenge for him (same in Australia over summer).
It is actually somewhat viable to run an efficient airconditioner in a well insulated shed/building etc as keeping temps at around 20-25 degrees is probably viable. Then you reduce the heat gain-exchange significantly.

But that is not cheap and keeping up humidity can be a challenge (misters etc) - however if electricity prices are lower then maybe it is viable.

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

PostPosted: Sep 22nd, '17, 17:48 

Thanks for the suggestions. I would use pipes in the ground ( if this was my place and not a rental) to use thermal cooling as my ambition is to make the whole system run without electrical input other then solar.

It is my "testbed " and learning project for a larger system I hope to build in spain at som point in the future.

Temperatures are starting to cool so hope to resume building mid Oct