All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: My first system
PostPosted: Mar 9th, '18, 03:27 

Are you human?: Yes
Great start to your new system. I wish I had the room to do a hoop house. I plan on watching your thread and Rob's thread to get as many ideas as possible. How deep are your dwc beds? and do you plan on keeping the dutch buckets in the closed system or drain to waste? Sorry if these questions seem basic, but I am really planning my system now and looking at other peoples systems to get ideas.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mar 9th, '18, 08:14 

Are you human?: yes
Bigwave

The beds are built out of 2x12s so I think they actually measured out to be 11 1/4" deep. As for the basic questions keep them coming! There is only one way to learn. I am a complete newbie to all of this and learning as I go. I designed my system and then redesigned it and once I knew I had it exactly the way I wanted it I thought why not have some dutch buckets. I look at systems all the time to steal good ideas haha. So to answer your question yes they will be in the closed system.

PostPosted: Mar 9th, '18, 22:10 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
I follow a guy on another forum who is doing hydroponics instead of aquaponics, but he grows some absolutely amazing tomato plants in dutch buckets... he has an entire hoop house dedicated to tomatoes in dutch buckets. He has another hoop house dedicated to strawberries that are grown hydroponically.... amazing stuff he has going on... unfortunately he seems to have quit the forum but I did stumble across him on a facebook group that I'm on so now I follow his farm on facebook to see what he has going on. I'm following a lot of other people if nothing more to see when they are planting so I can figure out when I can plant. I'm working on a schedule to try and maximize my plants I can grow in a year with successive plantings in my somewhat limited space.

My hoop house is not aquaponic, just growing in the dirt in there. Check out my greenhouse for my AP system.

I think I'm going to build another hoop house soon but it will be for my meat chickens because I don't want them to be in the coop with my layers, lost too many last year need to give them their own space. Still tossing around ideas on what I want to do. Might end up just putting a temporary roof over my pig pen instead seems how I don't have pigs right now but then they are still close to the layers... I was thinking of putting them over by the garden to use them to till up new ground so I can expand the garden further.

PostPosted: Mar 12th, '18, 05:31 

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Just some update photos of the progress from this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mar 12th, '18, 20:22 

Looks like some good progress. What kind of liner will you use for the grow beds?

PostPosted: Mar 13th, '18, 08:15 

http://www.pondkingpondliner.com/

PostPosted: Mar 15th, '18, 21:36 

The first of many shipments to arrive toady!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mar 15th, '18, 22:22 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Wowowow. Very nicely done. That's a lot of Hydroton. That's going to be awesome.

:?

PostPosted: Mar 15th, '18, 22:24 

Wow did you get a good deal on the Hydroton? Is it going inside the hoop house?

PostPosted: Mar 15th, '18, 22:41 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

So I can't help but count the bags on that pallet... 3 per row x 11 rows = 33 bags... x $35 per bag (my cost anyways)... oucH! I hope they gave you a discount for buying in bulk.

PostPosted: Mar 17th, '18, 08:56 

Ok so I must say I have been looking forward to this post.

Hydroton in my opinion is really over priced here in the states. I exhausted myself searching for a good deal on this product. I went deep and considered starting my own business just importing this stuff from china. Which might still be an option down the road haha.

Here is the deal on this pallet. I found it for $31.00 a bag online. I called the company and said I want to buy a pallet and I wanted a bulk price deal. I talked with the salesperson and they agreed to send me a quote via email. They knocked it down to $26.00 a bag and I didn't even try to get them to lower the price. I also searched their company name on google looking for a coupon and after trying about 4 coupon codes I found one that was valid and got another 2% off. I paid $996.00 delivered to my work.

Before I purchased the hydroton I called my local rock company that had a some what suitable river rock. They wanted to charge me $900.00 for the amount that I need. So for $96.00 difference I think the choice was easy.

I just received my last shipment of materials today so now it's time to get to work this weekend and keep the goal of pumping water by the end of the month.

PostPosted: Mar 17th, '18, 20:02 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Good deal. I don't know what Aussies pay for this stuff but I always think it's crazy how much they use if it's at the same cost we pay... It's actually made in Germany so they might pay the same as we do since it still has to go a long distance but after a year of using mine I see why so will slowly replace my beds with hydroton I think.

PostPosted: Mar 17th, '18, 21:42 

Are you human?: Does not compute
rininger85 wrote:
It's actually made in Germany

Wasn't aware of this, but it does explain why I was able to get 50L bags locally for €8.

PostPosted: Mar 20th, '18, 00:52 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Depsua wrote:
rininger85 wrote:
It's actually made in Germany

Wasn't aware of this, but it does explain why I was able to get 50L bags locally for €8.

I wasn't aware that I hate you... but now I am =) kidding...

PostPosted: Mar 20th, '18, 03:05 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Sometimes
rininger85 wrote:
Good deal. I don't know what Aussies pay for this stuff but I always think it's crazy how much they use if it's at the same cost we pay... It's actually made in Germany so they might pay the same as we do since it still has to go a long distance but after a year of using mine I see why so will slowly replace my beds with hydroton I think.

Rininger they are same price here and you can get good deals if you buy a pallet load, Nutrifield are good quality German made clay balls and are dearer at $35 a 50L bag, I found the Nutrifield were larger balls and they took up more space in the grow beds saving up to 1/2 a bag per grow bed.

https://hyalite.com.au/growing-media/ot ... s-50l.html

The first Clay balls I used were cheap Chinese clay balls that broke up very easily and just weren't a patch on the Nutrifeild. My son bought a pallet load and got them down to $20 a 50L bag, it's far better to pay the extra money and go with quality right from the start.

The bags in the photo are some of the cheap Chinese clay balls bagged up that I replaced with the Nutrifield, I kept some of the Chinese balls to use in Dutch Buckets.

Rininger we Aussies spend 50% of our money on alcohol, women & gambling; the other half we waste on clay balls. :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

Attachments:
DSCN1278 (Small).JPG
DSCN1278 (Small).JPG [ 182.43 KiB | Viewed 961 times ]

My Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiiZv ... iWEVFANEVQ
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next