All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: May 11th, '19, 16:32 

Are you human?: YES
Hey Guys and Gals

So have just started an IBC Chop and flip (based on Rob Bob and other videos)and about to start cycling
Pretty excited but realise I will have to cycle for six weeks or TIL the ammonia and nitrates stabilise. Pretty please with how it looks so far, I’ve clad it with floor decking and will insulate with expanding foam come winter please let me know what you think, garden is south facing but worried it might not get enough light.
I have also bought a wind turbine to power pump and ariation and grow lights if needed and may build a lean to over the top but will rely on mains initially

Aquaculturists are go!

Ps yes the my are display veg :funny1:

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 13th, '19, 01:07 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Hi Hulpy,
I'm also from the UK; Lewes, East Sussex.

What fish are you planning on raising? Is it going to be outdoors or in a greenhouse?

PostPosted: May 13th, '19, 16:44 

Hi Danny

I'm thinking Trout, I've had some issues with my bell syphon leaking and well water just passing through also probably need a tap as my pump is 3000l and has no adjustment dial

I was in a bit of a rush to get the clay balls in and cladding done as I wanted to show off a bit for a bbq :whistle:

I m struggling to post a picture on here as I get red text saying its either too tall or too wide or too big
But will get there in the end,

Its out doors between my garage and fence, so the plan is to either build a greenhouse structure over the top or move into the garage and use grow lights, Ive bought a wind turbine and the ultimate plan is to run any pumps or lights from that and solar eventually but I've got mains power from the garage to start.

What fish have you gone with? whats your setup? any tips for cycling I've bought some black caviar (concentrate chicken manure lawn pellets ) I was going to use to kick start the ammonia levels whilst I wait for the nitrate cycle) also bought some seedlings, courgettes tomatoes and strawberries and some lettuce /carrot seeds which I will need to propagate.

I've heard that if you use water from a water butt this can speed up the process as there should already be some airborne bacteria and the clay has now been in the bed with some water flowing through for a week or so ?

Any of your thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers for the response

Sean

PostPosted: May 13th, '19, 17:04 

Hopefully Pics now showing so you can see what im working with

Attachments:
File comment: Wind power and Position
IMG_6528.JPG
IMG_6528.JPG [ 104.92 KiB | Viewed 208 times ]
File comment: Looking pretty
IMG_6527.JPG
IMG_6527.JPG [ 185.16 KiB | Viewed 208 times ]
File comment: part build
IMG_6526.JPG
IMG_6526.JPG [ 202.58 KiB | Viewed 208 times ]
PostPosted: May 13th, '19, 22:21 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Nice work there!

My set up is just an indoor aquarium based system. I live in a flat don't have the space for anything else atm.

Its a shame about the highish wall and fence on either side... which way is south? You could put up some reflective board to increase the general light levels reaching your plants.

The overpowered pump issue can be resolved by diverting some of the flow back into the tank, which is good because increasing aeration and general flow in the tank will be to the benefit of trout which require good aeration and cooler temps.

Lettuce will work well, but the fruiting crops don't usually do so well in young systems. Carrots don't do well in gravel either. Some other leafy veg and herbs might be good options.

Trout are pretty delicate fish in that they require clean well oxygenated water and cold temps, which could be tricky to maintain in sumer in a fairly small body of water. Perch are another option, they grow quite a bit slower but will be much more tolerant of higher temps and possibly of lower oxygen. They are very good to eat too.