All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: new member
PostPosted: Jun 29th, '14, 06:40 

Are you human?: yes
Hi I am a new at aquaponics I have been researching it for about a year and decided to jump in with no more knowledge then what I have. So now I am really out on a limb and don't know where I need to go to fix my problem. I had several gold fish and my plants and the fish were doing fine. My husband went on a 3 day trip to Missouri and while we were gone I used a slow release feeder disc to feed the fish. when I got home they were all dead and the disc was not even nibbled on now everything is so out of whack as far as ph and nitres that I don't know what. :upset:

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: new member
PostPosted: Jun 29th, '14, 16:40 

What I meant was how do I fix the ph and nitres problems am still pumping the water to the growbeds but should I change out some of the water. with fresh and no I have not added any fish figure I should wait on fish till I get it back to normal levels. Thanks for any help

PostPosted: Jun 29th, '14, 16:49 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Those holiday feeder blocks sold in pet stores aren't what they're cracked up to be.
I've used them in the past and almost every time it went badly.
The fish would be fine going a few days without food, I'd certainly prefer that to using those blocks ever again.
To be honest, a week without food wouldn't be a problem at all for healthy fish.
I'd either leave it alone until your levels were normal or do a decent water change first and monitor from there.

ps Welcome to the forum. :wave:

PostPosted: Jun 29th, '14, 17:06 

thank you for the welcome and I have water setting and dechloriening(sp) itself right now and was thinking if the water doesn't get better soon I will change the water

PostPosted: Jul 13th, '14, 17:18 

I think I figured out some of my problem besides the fact I don't understand metric's is the fact I got the ratio really wrong I have 15 gals of water in my fish tank, to 20 liters of growbed, that is why nothing is leveling out. I need a lot more growbed and keep the fish tank the same for a little while but I am still unsure if that means I need 113 liters of growbeds or 226 liters of growbeds. Am I near in my figuring.

PostPosted: Jul 13th, '14, 18:12 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Only after 3 coffees
Welcome to the forum, we will do some rounding up of figures to make it easy.

1 US gallon = 3.8 Litres, 15 US gallons = 57 Litres so I would recommend you do a 1:2 ratio and have 114 Litres of grow bed.

To cover another thing the spell as Liter is US English and as Litre is the rest of the world.

Stay away from additives that they use in aquariums and stick to additives you would only use in approved organic gardening. Keep going and enjoy, O yes we do love photos. Cheers

BackYard Aquaponics
ccBear's First System

BackYard Farming
CcBear's Dunbyu Gardens

PostPosted: Jul 13th, '14, 18:32 

Well I am in the US so I guess I am spelling it right. thank you for at least helping me figure out that I don't have enough growbeds area as for pics if I sent one in and got it to upload I am afraid every one who looks at it would die laughing at my set-up it is a small long planter really small like 24x8x9 and the fish tank is a plastic tub with rope handles if you want I can send one in once I figure out how to down load a pic.

PostPosted: Jul 13th, '14, 18:44 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Only after 3 coffees
That is where you go to members system and start your own thread. This is a good way to record your Aquaponic journey. You are starting no smaller than a lot of members here who have now learnt and have moved to bigger systems.

It is good to go back and look at your good and bad times for your system and may help other new members on there journey. Please do not be afraid to record your mistakes as well as your success.

Cheers

BackYard Aquaponics
ccBear's First System

BackYard Farming
CcBear's Dunbyu Gardens