All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: new aquaponics system
PostPosted: Apr 11th, '12, 21:43 

Are you human?: yes
hi, i have recently commissioned my first aquaponics system, based on a 2500l s/steel dairy tank coupled to 10x180l growbeds. system has now been running for 4 weeks and both fish (200 jade perch) and vegetables appear to be thriving. we have already picked beans and lettuces very nice!
problems encountered have been mainly concerned with aphid control. havn't yet worked out a control for these pests. my grow beds are located in a 15x6m greenhouse; so most insects are excluded. now the weather is turning colder the (water temp this morning was only 18 degrees celcius) the jade perch are not as hungry as they were a couple of weeks ago when temps were
averaging 23dc. as a result my nitrate levels are only around 15 ppm whereas they were at 25ppm. ammonia and nitrate levels are both zero and ph is at 8.2 (we use bore water). in the interim in order to boost nitrate levels would it be advisable to add small amounts of charlie carp? i intend eliminating this problem within a month by installing a solar hot water heating system, which hopefully will stimulate the fishes appetites. also many thanks to murray hallam, his dvd's have been my bible for the past months whilst the system was under construction.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 12th, '12, 00:38 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: hmm
not sure about austrailia but here in the uk you can buy ladybirds to help with aphids, although that takes a while, also a soapy spray solution helps although you will need to find a fish friendly soap, for the plants food boost i used maxicrop seaweed extract, but i am only in the fishless cycling phase at the min

PostPosted: Apr 12th, '12, 17:02 

Are you human?: YES
Aphids can normally be blown off the plants by using a bit of water pressure from a hose, but I gather you are going for a more permanent solution? I'm pretty sure a homemade garlic/chilli spray will work nicely as a foliar spray for keeping the little pests at bay.. maybe someone else will back me up on this? :)

There's a few recipes on the internets for the spray; just make sure it is aquaponics-friendly.

PostPosted: Apr 12th, '12, 19:01 

Dipel

or try lacewings from http://www.bugsforbugs.com.au/

Post subject: new aquaponics system
PostPosted: Apr 12th, '12, 22:27 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: YES
I tried the lacewings, had lots of flowers about but they didnt do very well. Have none about now.

PostPosted: May 11th, '12, 23:16 

Are you human?: yes
keith lay wrote:
hi, i have recently commissioned my first aquaponics system, based on a 2500l s/steel dairy tank coupled to 10x180l growbeds. system has now been running for 4 weeks and both fish (200 jade perch) and vegetables appear to be thriving. we have already picked beans and lettuces very nice!
problems encountered have been mainly concerned with aphid control. havn't yet worked out a control for these pests. my grow beds are located in a 15x6m greenhouse; so most insects are excluded. now the weather is turning colder the (water temp this morning was only 18 degrees celcius) the jade perch are not as hungry as they were a couple of weeks ago when temps were
averaging 23dc. as a result my nitrate levels are only around 15 ppm whereas they were at 25ppm. ammonia and nitrate levels are both zero and ph is at 8.2 (we use bore water). in the interim in order to boost nitrate levels would it be advisable to add small amounts of charlie carp? i intend eliminating this problem within a month by installing a solar hot water heating system, which hopefully will stimulate the fishes appetites. also many thanks to murray hallam, his dvd's have been my bible for the past months whilst the system was under construction.

Wow what a nice system you have. I would like to know something more about the systems like more details and how do you keep it maintained or any special requirement of the system and lots more about it.