All times are UTC + 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Hello from Portugal
PostPosted: Nov 21st, '12, 18:58 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Nov 21st, '12, 04:12
Posts: 16
Gender: Male
Are you human?: On the weekends.
Location: Portugal, Povoa de Santa Iria
Hello everyone,

I have recently discovered aquaponics, got addicted to Murray Hallam's videos and am in the process of finishing my first system out of recycled things to see how it goes.

I'm a techie at heart, but in the past years, I have been doing a "returning to origins" discovery, so to speak. Recycling, eating all organic food, reducing my carbon footprint, that sort of thing.

So aquaponics is definitely the next logical step.

I'm sure I have endless content to learn from here.

:wave1:

P.S. I'm also a home brewer, specializing in mead and melomel(mead with fruit).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
    Advertisement
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Portugal
PostPosted: Nov 22nd, '12, 02:56 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Sep 24th, '12, 01:34
Posts: 16
Location: Bulgaria
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: South Bulgaria
Hello Arctos and welcome.

I too am new here , interested in aquaponics and hoping to move to Pt soon.

Do you know whether tilapia are a banned species in Pt?
I have searched all over the net and never found the answer.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Portugal
PostPosted: Nov 22nd, '12, 07:26 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Nov 21st, '12, 04:12
Posts: 16
Gender: Male
Are you human?: On the weekends.
Location: Portugal, Povoa de Santa Iria
smiler wrote:
Hello Arctos and welcome.

I too am new here , interested in aquaponics and hoping to move to Pt soon.

Do you know whether tilapia are a banned species in Pt?
I have searched all over the net and never found the answer.


Well, as luck would have it, I went to meet a guy selling a filter/pump today... and he had brought the wrong kind. A waterfall kind of thing for small aquariums. And I told him no, I need something like we discussed that can send water up at least 1 meter. I'm doing something called "aquaponics" not sure if you know what it is, I said...
To my surprise, he said he did know what it was (of the dozens of Portuguese people I've approached about it, he's the first to know), and that last summer he sold at least 1000 tilapia fingerlings.

So my answer to you, I have no idea if they are banned. But like so many other things in Portugal, there are people openly selling them.

I'm still building my first system and haven't looked into fish types here yet. I was going for goldfish at start to test it and see how it goes and then move to trout or something.

I'll keep you posted as I find more info.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Portugal
PostPosted: Nov 23rd, '12, 04:43 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Nov 21st, '12, 04:12
Posts: 16
Gender: Male
Are you human?: On the weekends.
Location: Portugal, Povoa de Santa Iria
To smiler, and whoever else might be interested:

There are only 3 types of fish that are illegal to sell/own in Portugal, and they're all inedible. It's stuff like "freshwater guppy". I only know the Portuguese names, I'll try to post the scientific names asap.

So, good news, tilapia is legal and available.
(The seller I know only sells for aquaponics or people he knows really well. He knows the destructive power of tilapia...)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Portugal
PostPosted: Nov 23rd, '12, 08:29 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Sep 24th, '12, 01:34
Posts: 16
Location: Bulgaria
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: South Bulgaria
Thanks Arctos

It`s good to know tilapia are ok.

I was thinking of tilapia in the summer and trout in the winter - less worries about controlling fish tank temperatures.

Do you know whether there are any laws against freshwater mussels or crayfish?
It would be nice to have something lurking in the sump.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Portugal
PostPosted: Nov 23rd, '12, 19:06 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Nov 21st, '12, 04:12
Posts: 16
Gender: Male
Are you human?: On the weekends.
Location: Portugal, Povoa de Santa Iria
smiler wrote:
Thanks Arctos

It`s good to know tilapia are ok.

I was thinking of tilapia in the summer and trout in the winter - less worries about controlling fish tank temperatures.

Do you know whether there are any laws against freshwater mussels or crayfish?
It would be nice to have something lurking in the sump.


I'm pretty sure you can keep any edible water "creature". Mussels (of any kind) and crayfish are definitely legal.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Portugal
PostPosted: May 31st, '13, 19:52 
Offline

Joined: May 31st, '13, 19:40
Posts: 1
Gender: Male
Are you human?: yes
Location: Alegrete, Portalegre, Portugal
We have just started out on a Permaculture project and would like to get a small aquaphonics system up and running - just a pilot project.

We have three tanks built - 500l,1000, and 1500l

Now need fingerlings - any leads would be greatly appreciated on 50- 100 needed for first phase.

Many thanks


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Portugal
PostPosted: Jan 19th, '14, 08:50 
Offline

Joined: Jan 19th, '14, 08:20
Posts: 1
Location: Portugal, Lisbon
Gender: Male
Are you human?: yes
Location: Portugal, Lisboa
Arctos wrote:
To smiler, and whoever else might be interested:

There are only 3 types of fish that are illegal to sell/own in Portugal, and they're all inedible. It's stuff like "freshwater guppy". I only know the Portuguese names, I'll try to post the scientific names asap.

So, good news, tilapia is legal and available.
(The seller I know only sells for aquaponics or people he knows really well. He knows the destructive power of tilapia...)



Hello
sorry, but I'm also from Portugal, Lisbon and can not find anyone with tilapia, so I use Goldfish, but I liked to change, you could give a little help. Looking for a new motor for my aquaponic. Please respond.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Portugal
PostPosted: Oct 14th, '17, 23:35 
Offline

Joined: Oct 14th, '17, 22:56
Posts: 3
Gender: Male
Are you human?: yrs
Location: Portugal, Silver Coast
Arctos wrote:
smiler wrote:
Thanks Arctos

It`s good to know tilapia are ok.

I was thinking of tilapia in the summer and trout in the winter - less worries about controlling fish tank temperatures.

Do you know whether there are any laws against freshwater mussels or crayfish?
It would be nice to have something lurking in the sump.


I'm pretty sure you can keep any edible water "creature". Mussels (of any kind) and crayfish are definitely legal.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Portugal
PostPosted: Oct 15th, '17, 17:04 
Offline

Joined: Oct 14th, '17, 22:56
Posts: 3
Gender: Male
Are you human?: yrs
Location: Portugal, Silver Coast
HI, I have just set up my first IBC based system and am looking for a source of edible fish, Central Portugal, any leads?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Portugal
PostPosted: Oct 15th, '17, 23:22 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 26th, '10, 07:17
Posts: 8622
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: Oregon, USA
Welcome to the forum iminow.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Portugal
PostPosted: Oct 16th, '17, 13:52 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Oct 11th, '17, 11:01
Posts: 10
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: Surabaya, Indonesia
Welcome!

It seems Portugal difficult to get some fingerling fish, is that true?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Portugal
PostPosted: Feb 8th, '18, 01:28 
Offline

Joined: Oct 14th, '17, 22:56
Posts: 3
Gender: Male
Are you human?: yrs
Location: Portugal, Silver Coast
Hi all, still looking for a supplier of edible fish suitable for an IBC system. I am in central Portugal near Caldas da Rainha. Any leads please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Portugal
PostPosted: Feb 8th, '18, 06:35 
Offline
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Joined: Aug 4th, '17, 02:48
Posts: 156
Gender: Male
Are you human?: Yes
Location: France (English)
Hi everyone..... Arctos it's been some years now, do you still read these posts? If so I'd be very interested in an update and brewing tips.......

_________________
White spots on plant leaves and very very hard water could just mean it's winter!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Portal by phpBB3 Portal © phpBB Türkiye
[ Time : 0.069s | 19 Queries | GZIP : Off ]