All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: May 10th, '16, 12:27 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: Yes-Mainly
it is fed by an artisan spring. I would boil due to fecal bacteria from the fish and animals, but at the source it is very pure and drinkable.

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 10th, '16, 12:45 
That is what all of our village wells are. They all are closed now due to pollution problems. Must buy or filter all water now. It was the best water around for many miles. So many pile have been driven into the ground up stream of them it has broken all of the sub-straight and allowed even mud to enter them. Any thing for a buck now a days. They all want a BMW.

PostPosted: May 10th, '16, 19:10 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Deuem wrote:
That is what all of our village wells are. They all are closed now due to pollution problems. Must buy or filter all water now. It was the best water around for many miles. So many pile have been driven into the ground up stream of them it has broken all of the sub-straight and allowed even mud to enter them. Any thing for a buck now a days. They all want a BMW.

Ya, China may have it bad, but Americans produce over twice the amount of pollution per person.
the official numbers are:
US 17.2 tones CO2 / person / year
China: 7.2 tones
We Americans are going to lose all of our ground water soon from fracking.

Sent from my LG-K120 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: May 10th, '16, 20:59 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Most of the time
:thumbright:
Quote:
We Americans are going to lose all of our ground water soon from fracking.

I have been aware of fracking for some time now. Since seeing the Doco "Gas lands". The damage the Gas industry has done to places like Wyoming
So glad that some people here in Australia are starting to realise the potential dangers of contamination fracking will cause to our aquifer's. We do not have the surface water/run off/lakes as other country's and rely heavily this ground water for drinking water. It's going to be a challenge to convince the government to put a holt to the practice here in Western Australia. The Oil and Gas industry has a lot of money to splash around with lobbyists and spin doctors getting in the ears of the politicians, hopefully people power will win out to save our most precious/essential commodity H2o.
:wave1:

PostPosted: May 11th, '16, 00:02 
Fracking is as bad or worse then pile driving. It will upset mother nature and her water for you to drink. Don't do it. Kiss the ground water good bye!.

PostPosted: May 11th, '16, 00:28 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: Yes-Mainly
Deuem wrote:
Fracking is as bad or worse then pile driving. It will upset mother nature and her water for you to drink. Don't do it. Kiss the ground water good bye!.

Humans are our worst enemies. It seems like we are in a race to the end these days. I live in a very rural area, and life moves at a slower pace. However, it is only a matter of time before big business tries to move in. They only care about the money, not so much about the environment.

PostPosted: May 11th, '16, 11:03 
We found a pipe near a government dam that has a faucet to fill up water tanks. The water can not be contaminated right there so it might be a safer source for the fish tank / AP water / drinking water. People were drinking it. It seems to come from the mountain above and all roads up are closed. So maybe a god freebee. I only know it is very cold, and about 5 miles away.

PostPosted: May 11th, '16, 12:00 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Deuem wrote:
We found a pipe near a government dam that has a faucet to fill up water tanks. The water can not be contaminated right there so it might be a safer source for the fish tank / AP water / drinking water. People were drinking it. It seems to come from the mountain above and all roads up are closed. So maybe a god freebee. I only know it is very cold, and about 5 miles away.

Very nice! I can't get water good enough for fish so I have to make it myself.

PostPosted: May 11th, '16, 12:58 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
jmcdaniel0 wrote:
Humans are our worst enemies.

We are also our best friends... I am more optimistic about the future. Look at the sustainable and responsible farming we promote with our aquaponics. Our systems reduce water usage, decrease dependence on fertilizers, make much more flexible use of land and reduce waste -- plus provide a superior product. In the USA forest growth has outpaced harvest since the 1940's -- it is now at more than a 2 to 1 ratio. After 2 centuries of decline, the area of forestland in the USA stabilized around 1910-1920 or so and there are now more trees in the USA than there were 100 years ago even though the population has almost tripled in that time. That's a plus with things heading in the right direction. By law, in Costa Rica where I now live, more than 25% of the landmass is in protected areas: biological reserves, national parks, protected wetlands, etc. Not too long ago primary rainforest was being leveled to make cow pastures. Of course there are plenty of bad things happening all over the world, but it is not all bad. There are people fighting the good fight and trying to improve things.

Even in Deuem's backyard (Yeli, China) there is hope:

Blind Jia Haixia and armless Jia Wenqi have planted more than 10,000 trees around their village the past 13-14 years to convert a rock and sand wasteland into a young forest for future generations...

Reference URLs:

STATE OF FORESTRY IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Terrestrial protected areas (% of total land area) - by Country

Keep the faith bro! :headbang:

--
Sam

Jardín Acuaponía #1

PostPosted: May 11th, '16, 13:02 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

The great plains are turning into a mesquite forest

PostPosted: May 11th, '16, 14:31 
They now have a national plant a tree day here and most kids taka part in the fun. At least one tree per class is planted every year by the kids. Trees give us a lot of O2 so we do need them.

PostPosted: May 12th, '16, 10:51 
Snake head fish:

Last night we all got to view them in full action. Most of the time they both hide under a rock or in behind a bush. Mother Nature got the best of them and it was hunting time. It was like we were not even there. Both of them took turns hunting minnows. The large one has more experience at it and was showing the small one the tricks of the trade.

The large one would circle the top of the tank and pick out a fish. She would then start to separate it from the pack and drive it deeper. She would then coil up and with a simple flick it would dive at full speed at the minnow and catch it in between it and the gravel bottom. At the same time a big gulp and it was history. A puff of little shinny minnow scales was all that was left and the koi swung by and ate those in a hurry.

The little snake head is not large enough for a frontal attack like that so it has to ambush its minnows. It trapped one up against a plant and took it in. I think it ate at least 2 minnows last night and we saw the large one stalk and grab at least 3. The white koi carp also must have gotten in on the feast because his belly is fat. It is possible that the large snake head chomped a few minnows in half and the koi just decided to steal them away. He is a pesky fish and never gives up.

So this morning after what was a jaws nightmare for the minnows last night they are all over the tank this morning. None of them are grouping up today. Maybe it gives them more room to flee this way or they are all on their own. It was interesting to see how the big one coiled up to make her attack. You could see it coming from across the room. Don't blink. I would love to put a speed check on that fish, Radar for speed. The last second had to be at least 50 to 70 miles per hour. It was so fast it was just a blur. Faster then the carp ever swam and he is like lightning. When it trapped the fish against the bottom you could hear it in the entire house. She hit those rocks so hard they sent out a shock wave of sound. Glad it is tempered glass.

All in all an interesting view into Mother Nature at work unless you were a minnow. Now that we know what to look for I will try to film it next time. Every other time we even came near the tank they ran. Last night hunger was in charge. All fins were in full extension and they could care less if being watched.

I thought the wife would back away from the killing fields but she hung in there and watched in interest also. She told me they had to eat also and that we have way too many minnows and knew where to get them more if needed. This is the same girl that left the room when I moved them into the tank by hand. She is getting used to them now. Most my friends what to toss a handful of the minnows in a fry pan and eat them so I guess at least they have a chance with the snakehead. Deep fried crunchy minnows is a rare meal here and if you buy them it costs a lot of money. 10 times regular fish.

The bad/good thing is that the snakehead, the Koi carp and the tilapia can all grow to be too large for the 300L tank. At some point they will need a larger home. I see a 2 meter tank in our future. LOL

PostPosted: May 12th, '16, 11:04 
BTW I did offer to separate them from the minnows but the wife said let it go as is. My guess is that she is getting attached to the snakeheads as pets and not the minnows. There are about 300 minnows in the tank with them so there is plenty to go around. It is the first time she got to see a game fish in action feeding and stalking its prey. It is quite a sight to see from under water. There are lots of places in the states that have these fish local and Florida is one of them. Only a few of us crazy hobbyist ever try to tank them so we are a bit special or a bit crazy. Either way is fun. Hey my Oscar only ate live fish but it never put on such a show, just swam over and gulped one.. The snakes actually hunt them and that is way cool. We got them from the same water we got some of our minnows so I guess they know what each other are.

PostPosted: May 12th, '16, 11:24 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Deuem wrote:
BTW I did offer to separate them from the minnows but the wife said let it go as is. My guess is that she is getting attached to the snakeheads as pets and not the minnows. There are about 300 minnows in the tank with them so there is plenty to go around. It is the first time she got to see a game fish in action feeding and stalking its prey. It is quite a sight to see from under water. There are lots of places in the states that have these fish local and Florida is one of them. Only a few of us crazy hobbyist ever try to tank them so we are a bit special or a bit crazy. Either way is fun. Hey my Oscar only ate live fish but it never put on such a show, just swam over and gulped one.. The snakes actually hunt them and that is way cool. We got them from the same water we got some of our minnows so I guess they know what each other are.

Now that's a fishtank! Cant wait to see more of it.

PostPosted: May 12th, '16, 12:21 
Basically it is an off the shelf tank with a lot of crazy fish in it. It is an adventure in it every day. Way over stocked and needs attention all the time. But fun enough to be worth it. Too many water and filter changes at the moment. It uses a dollar of filter floss a day and about 60 liters of new water a week. Which both of them I need to do again. And again and again. I feed these fish 4 times a day so they are all very fat and happy fish. My White koi carp can eat 24/7 if you let him. When he is not eating his food he is gulping up mouthfuls of gravel and cleaning it. Then spitting it back out all over the tank as he swims. Some of the minnows are now chasing his butt looking for the next carp feeding. They eat his poo before it gets a chance to hit the bottom. They go after it in bunches and fight over it. Who knew carp poo tastes that good. My little alien minnows are good at re-cycling it for me. I will pass on the food trial of carp poo.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next