All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: May 19th, '16, 00:22 
Here I call it a rich mans fish because only the rich people can afford them. The ones I have seen are in display tanks in offices or at their home. Both times they had another tank just for feeder fish. I guess we have the asia one here. It is mostly all silver. I would like to find one out in the wild, that would be cool...The one in the photo is large enough to eat anything in my tank. And would. Both fish I saw were then by themselves because they killed and ate their tank buddies. Both had very secured covers and weights on top. Or you will find them walking out the door. I think they gulp air and maybe that's why there is no air stone showing in the pic.

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 19th, '16, 00:31 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
Deuem wrote:
I think they gulp air and maybe that's why there is no air stone showing in the pic.

They can. The arowana is a facultative air breather and can obtain oxygen from air by sucking it into its swim bladder, which is lined with capillaries like lung tissue. So they can breathe air directly by gulping it at the surface, but they don't have to, and probably would rather just rely upon their gills for oxygen.

--
Sam

Jardín Acuaponía #1

PostPosted: May 19th, '16, 01:16 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
like bettas, o2 in water is prefered

Sent from my LG-K120 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: May 19th, '16, 09:28 
Well my 2 snake heads can do that also but they prefer to gulp air. Every 5 minutes or so, up they come.

PostPosted: May 19th, '16, 09:41 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Deuem wrote:
Well my 2 snake heads can do that also but they prefer to gulp air. Every 5 minutes or so, up they come.

Yea my bettas would too, I think it's instict/habit. In a bowl with no air, an active betta will gulp for air every minute. they usually just mope around in low O2. I took good care of my bettas. Two crowntails in a divided 15 gallon aquarium. I'm gonna get some bettas now.

PostPosted: May 19th, '16, 10:48 
The easy but painful way would be to put then in a full bag of water and see if they drown. Some fish in Honk Kong are sold this way. And other half and half.

PostPosted: May 19th, '16, 11:02 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Deuem wrote:
The easy but painful way would be to put then in a full bag of water and see if they drown. Some fish in Honk Kong are sold this way. And other half and half.

I don't understand.

PostPosted: May 19th, '16, 11:34 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Here's a nice paper talking about air-breathing in fish, but bottom line is that there are obligate air breathers and facultative air breathers. Obligate air breathers MUST breathe air periodically or they suffocate. Facultative air breathers only breathe air when they need to because they can. The African Lungfish is an example of an obligate air breather. It would die in Deuem's full bag test. Bettas and arowanas are facultative air breathers and would survive the full bag test.

Modifications of the Digestive Tract for Holding Air in Loricariid and Scoloplacid Catfishes

--
Sam

Jardín Acuaponía #1

PostPosted: May 19th, '16, 11:43 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

nosliwmas wrote:
Here's a nice paper talking about air-breathing in fish, but bottom line is that there are obligate air breathers and facultative air breathers. Obligate air breathers MUST breathe air periodically or they suffocate. Facultative air breathers only breathe air when they need to because they can. The African Lungfish is an example of an obligate air breather. It would die in Deuem's full bag test. Bettas and arowanas are facultative air breathers and would survive the full bag test.

Modifications of the Digestive Tract for Holding Air in Loricariid and Scoloplacid Catfishes

--
Sam

New thing learnt for the day.

PostPosted: May 19th, '16, 14:11 
I presume my snake heads can go rather way. They do have gills. As long as they are wet, they can last up to 4-5 hours out of the water. The shrimp we have can also get out of the water and walk up or down stream to the next pool of water.

PostPosted: May 20th, '16, 03:26 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Deuem wrote:
I presume my snake heads can go rather way. They do have gills. As long as they are wet, they can last up to 4-5 hours out of the water. The shrimp we have can also get out of the water and walk up or down stream to the next pool of water.

I hear bettas can last several days, and used to get shipped in the mail wrapped in wet newspaper.

PostPosted: May 20th, '16, 10:17 
I wonder if the print would transfer to the fish.. Most of what I have seen or read is the fact if they dry out there is a problem. I wrote before I shipped a shrimp in wet gravel a thousand miles and in the bag for over 2 weeks. When I added water it swam out. Fish are funny.

PostPosted: May 20th, '16, 10:32 
Good news for some. I am not going to do AP and will be leaving this forum. I have asked to have my account deleted. So thank you for all of your posts. I am tossing out all of my AP stuff and just going to buy better food. If I move to a larger place I will try again. To do this inside a small condo unit is tearing us up. We have no room. If I move to a larger home I will try again then. Ok then.......

PostPosted: May 20th, '16, 11:07 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Deuem wrote:
I am not going to do AP and will be leaving this forum.

Sorry to see you leave, Deuem. You have participated in many interesting discussions and the viewport you've provided into Southern China has also been interesting. Public forums are not always the easiest way to communicate although there are almost always ways to ignore threads or posters one is not interested in following.
Best of luck however it works out. Remember to eat that Giant Snakehead before it eats you! :shark: :whip:

--
Sam

Jardín Acuaponía #1

PostPosted: May 20th, '16, 12:20 
I am just waiting for them to delete my account. Thanks to Mr Yamaimya and his great attitude I don't want to be harassed here. People just don't want to read everything and spout off without knowledge of what was written.

I don't know what will be the final ending for the snake heads but they are pets and will never be eaten. If they get too large for me I will bring them back to their home and release them.

Telling me to *frack* off is not what I want to hear. I was after a simple question of what to add to water and he decided he was the champ of this site so let him have it. I was here to learn. I never did find out what was the best water to make. Seems it is a secret. Ok, I can live with that. I will just test in the nursery until I get the best. I will go back to dirt also and forget I even found AP. Let the AP gods play with them. lol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next