All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Re: My first system
PostPosted: Dec 13th, '17, 09:10 

Are you human?: yes
Rob

I just checked out your thread and I must say I can't wait to be that far along. Looks like we have a lot of the same interest. I hope my small project can turn a little bit of a profit so I can expand. I have a perfect space for 3 - 30'x140' greenhouses. I know that is ambitious considering I am just starting out but that's the goal. I am curious on how your experiment with bluegill went? Bluegill is what I planned on starting with so any info on that would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 14th, '17, 21:27 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
the bluegill are currently in the system. I think I bought them in August or September so haven't had them very long. I don't think I've lost any of them so far. I started with them in the 75 gal tank in the house until I got most of the tilapia processed then I moved them out to the AP system in the greenhouse. So far everything seems to be going well but I don't know how fast they will grow. I've read that they will probably take 2 years to get plate sized so they don't grow as fast as the tilapia do but only time will tell if they grow at a rate that is still acceptable or not. I am more curious about how fast the catfish will grow. I hope they will grow large enough to eat in a 1 year time span, I've read that they will but will wait to see it myself. I plan on raising one more year of tilapia because I won't be able to harvest any catfish until next fall anyways so want to make sure I have fish if they don't get to an acceptable size in a year, but if they do grow fast enough I will likely switch to running just catfish, or sprinkle in some bluegills and perch with catfish in future years.

bcotton has a thread on here about trying to breed bluegills. I have hybrids which is a bluegill / sunfish cross so they are mostly male, not going to breed, but if you get actual bluegills it does sound like it is possible to breed them in an aquarium.

I am of the mindset that I want to try making a little money with everything I'm growing too. I will keep expanding slowly when I have the money. I hadn't really mentioned it to the wife until last night, but I have been reading a lot on market gardening and CSA's... I am working out some of the details and considering trying to start a small CSA (maybe 10 shares) next year as a trial run, but I might wait another year so I can test out my plans to make sure they work out how I want them to before I am on the hook for providing for a CSA. I think adding fish to the CSA would be a unique option that no one in the area has right now. Looking at other CSA options in the area there are only 2 in my area and the one that I found info on costs they charge $550 per share, will drop to $400 per share if the person comes and works on the farm for 15 hours a year to help you out. They didn't list a half share but from what I've read they typically go a little over half price for a half share. So I thought I could do $400 / share and $250 / half share would give the potential of $4000-5000 off of 10 shares. That would give me a little more play money to move the projects along a little faster and I don't think would be too difficult to manage 10 shares worth of produce. Then if it is successful I could slowly increase the number of shares. The main reason I hesitate is I'm not sure how much more work it is going to be with the growing plan I am working on now. So I might try and track it for one season when I'm not on the hook to figure out how much extra effort I need to put into it in case I run in to a situation that I'm not able to put the time into it that I need to. But then I have to figure out what to do with all of the extra food that I produce that we're not going to consume. I hate the farmers market idea. If I didn't have a full time job then it would be fine to spend a day or two a week at a farmers market, but with a full time job and trying to produce all of this I can't afford to lose even half of a day to sitting at a farmers market. I could do a road side stand to get rid of some of the produce, but I'm not ready for that yet there are a few things I want to do before I'd attempt that (need to build a mobile stand so I can store it out back in the off season and only have it out front when I have produce to sell).

PostPosted: Dec 14th, '17, 22:38 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: when in a good mood
My first year of catfish I was able to raise them to plate size in 9 - 10 months, though I prefer fish a little larger. Growth depends on feed rate which depends on water temp and conditions. They really don't eat much when the water is below 60°F. I use auto-feeders so my fish never miss a meal. Also the first year I was diligent about adjusting the federate every couple of weeks.

Now I'm a little more lax and I have more fish. My 150 fingerlings only reached 3/4 size this past year. So I'm hoping next year with better feed management I will have at least 100 catfish over 2 lbs.

As for your excess production, in addition to for profit options please consider donating to a local food bank. You might get someone to come to your house for pickup if you have regular donations.

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Jan 2nd, '18, 03:17 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Yes
I like how you transformed the shed, well done. Got any more recent photos? KE

PostPosted: Jan 2nd, '18, 05:57 

Nothing new to show right now. It has been sub zero temperatures the past week. Hoping to have some progress to show in the coming weeks.

PostPosted: Jan 2nd, '18, 07:47 

ImageImage

I guess I have a couple pics. My little helper and some lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Jan 3rd, '18, 01:53 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

have you checked your air temps in the greenhouse when the sun is shining? I went out in my hoop house a couple days ago when it was 10F outdoors and it was 39F in the hoop house. I went back out later that afternoon when it was about 12F outside and it was like 54F. It gets really nice in the hoop house when the sun shines even if it is nasty outside!

PostPosted: Jan 6th, '18, 08:28 

Wow those temps are awesome. The last few times I checked mine and the temp in the greenhouse was only 10 deg higher. I do need to seal up a couple areas. I have played with the idea of building a rocket stove in there but not sure if that is a good idea. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Jan 7th, '18, 07:03 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I wouldn't bother trying to heat it unless you've already got a double layer of poly inflated with a blower to create an air insulation layer... Otherwise you will just burn a lot of fuel and still be pretty cold at night. A single layer of plastic just doesnt insulate enough to be able to heat it. There is a guy on another forum I'm on that runs hydroponics in hoophouse with a couple of vent free propane heaters in them but I think he has the double poly.