All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Oct 12th, '17, 12:19 

Are you human?: YES
Hello!

My name is Hildi and I am new to Aquaponics. I learn a lot of thing about aquaponics by reading, for now. I want my future house can apply the aquaponics system to feed my own family.

Hopefully and I pray that all the knowledge gained from the forum will benefit me in the future.

Warm Regards,

Advertisement

PostPosted: Oct 12th, '17, 13:20 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: Yes
Hi Hildi,
Welcome to the forum. I’ll be praying with you for your future endeavours. You have come to the right place to gain wisdom and knowledge about aquaponics. I’ve only joined a few months back and have been given great advice by people on this forum.
Her is a pic of my little humble system only just cycled for 3 weeks now
Attachment:
A2F7B5A9-8D18-43B6-B0A5-47518957EA7B.jpeg
A2F7B5A9-8D18-43B6-B0A5-47518957EA7B.jpeg [ 239.14 KiB | Viewed 1045 times ]

PostPosted: Oct 12th, '17, 13:45 

Vonapster wrote:
Hi Hildi,
Welcome to the forum. I’ll be praying with you for your future endeavours. You have come to the right place to gain wisdom and knowledge about aquaponics. I’ve only joined a few months back and have been given great advice by people on this forum.
Her is a pic of my little humble system only just cycled for 3 weeks now

It is only 3 weeks and your vegetable looks great! Your screenshot really motivates me, thank you so much! What kind of fish do you use in the system? and what is your further plan for your system, if I may know?

PostPosted: Oct 12th, '17, 14:10 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have 2 baby kio and 4 baby goldfish.
Where I live there is not much room so that is why I have a little system. When I move to a larger property I plan to upgrade big time and have Trout,Jade and Silver Perch as my fish of choice!

What fish are available in Indonesia?

PostPosted: Oct 12th, '17, 14:57 

Vonapster wrote:
I have 2 baby kio and 4 baby goldfish.
Where I live there is not much room so that is why I have a little system. When I move to a larger property I plan to upgrade big time and have Trout,Jade and Silver Perch as my fish of choice!

What fish are available in Indonesia?

Most common fish here is catfish and tilapia, we usually eat them with cost around 0.3-0.5$ / fish. Cheap and easy to nurture. I've plan to use this kind of fish, in my aquaponics.

Wow, your fish provide enough nutrition to all your plants, despite they are still babies? Is Kio and Goldfish some ornament fish or edible also in your countries?

PostPosted: Oct 12th, '17, 17:47 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

We only use kio and goldfish for ornamental fish or pets! Here in Western Australia we have far better fish to choose from in our oceans and rivers to eat and harvest.

PostPosted: Oct 13th, '17, 01:40 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: If you want me to be
Salamat datang!

PostPosted: Oct 13th, '17, 11:05 

Vonapster wrote:
We only use kio and goldfish for ornamental fish or pets! Here in Western Australia we have far better fish to choose from in our oceans and rivers to eat and harvest.

I'd love to know them! So what kind of fish that most common to eat usually in the western Australia?

Kiara98 wrote:
Salamat datang!

Hi, Klara98! Terima kasih!! You understand bahasa? have you ever visit Indonesia?

PostPosted: Oct 13th, '17, 13:42 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Pink Snapper, Coral trout, Dhufish, Whiting, Red Emperor are just a few that come from the ocean that are very tasty!

Black Bream, Silver Bream, Flathead, Flounder and prawns are found in estuaries and rivers with brackish water.

Brown and Rainbow Trout, Silver Perch and Red Fin Perch you can found in fresh water rivers and streams.

PostPosted: Oct 13th, '17, 16:42 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Vonapster, your system is looking proper fresh! I do wonder though, you did fish-less cycling? Were nutrients added to the water that didn't come from fish metabolism? Perhaps your plants are still thriving off these rather than the fish output... I have 4 small goldfish and 7 minnows, and in 6 months I haven't had barely enough nutes to sustain 4 lettuce plants and some mint in the corner of my GB. But this may also be down to me not feeding enough or not feeding good enough food...

Note how most non-ornamental APers stock their systems WAY more densely than people with aquariums etc, so you get a huge amount of plant growth compared to tank size. I would have thought that for your veggies to continue grow well you might need more fish than what you have, but I may be wrong and I may well be doing something wrong myself.

A giant scaled up version of your system would be so cool. Do they make them?

PostPosted: Oct 13th, '17, 17:32 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Not before 8am
danny wrote:
Vonapster, I would have thought that for your veggies to continue grow well you might need more fish than what you have
Yep!...

PostPosted: Oct 14th, '17, 17:46 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Danny,
Yep i did a fishless cycle which consisted of introducing 10mls of Powerfeed Seasol daily until I had 1 - 2 ppm of ammonia. Because I did it in winter it took about 6 to 7 weeks until I was getting nitrites and nitrates. After that the system has been running cycled with the fish in it for about a month. I’ve only added the power feed twice during that month so it probably is the residue keeping the veges fresh.
I have done quite a few partial water changes during that month because I’ve been getting higher than desired nitrites. I think I’m more prone to swings in ammonia and nitrites etc due to the small size of the FT (270 litres). :dontknow:

I’ve gone off the calculation of only keeping 1 fish per 20 litres of expanded clay. I’ve got 100 litres of Ex clay in my grow bed, however that could be only used for plate fish growing to 500 grams to a kilo. Silver Perch and the like......

Maybe it could be that you can have more ornamental fish. I’m still getting 40 to 80 ppm nitrates feeding the fish with good feed, every second day depending on the water temperature with the 6 fish I have but those readings could be influenced by the added powerfeed.

I did a partial water change yesterday and put in some Bok Choy so I’ll let it settle a few weeks longer without putting any supplements. I’ll keep to the feeding regime and check with regular water testing during that time.

If I were to add more ornamental fish, how much could I put in without overloading the system? I’m worried that maybe there isn’t large enough bacteria colonies yet to handle the load??

What are your thoughts Danny and Mr Damage?

PostPosted: Oct 17th, '17, 17:35 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Well the stocking guidelines are based on a ratio of metabolism to nitrifying bacteria, which can be pretty much accurately expressed as fish weight to media volume in media bed systems. If the ratio you refer to is based on number of fish it will probably be, as you say, for plate sized fish, so you could potentially add more without having issues until they grow bigger. But if you are planning to set up a second larger system, you could always transfer some fish over to that one once they have grown bigger. Having said that, if you add more fish to your current system you would of course need to be careful with the extra bio-load, perhaps wait till you are fully cycled with no time lags between feedings and nitrate conversion, and reduce feeding for a while after adding the new fish.

For my system I will probably not add any more fish, as my main goal is having an aesthetically pleasing low maintenance aquarium, and due to where I live I can't build another larger system. If I get enough basil leaves to chuck on a pizza every now and then and enough mint for a mojito night once a month I'll be happy!