All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mar 8th, '18, 05:40 

Are you human?: YES
Hello everybody,

So I've loved the idea of having an aquarium forever, and recently a buddy of mine has gotten into Hydroponics, which has peaked my interest in Aquaponics. But I have a couple problems in my way before I start.

I would like to preface this with saying I have not purchased anything, and am probably 3-6 months of researching out from purchasing anything.

First, because I have a wife that won't want to eat her pets. I feel like my first Aquaponic System is going to have to be an indoor (dinning/living room), regular glass aquarium type with decorative fish with an herb and small vegetable garden on top. I've looked around on the online and I've found a bunch of smaller (100-150gal) Aquaponic systems but none that are aesthetically pleasing, most are only function driven. Which is completely understandable, but I'm wondering if someone has or has an example of something like an Afrincan Cichlid Tank that feeds an herb garden?

Second, The other problem I have is I live southeast of Houston, so in a given year we range from 30 degrees to 100 degrees F. Provided the first tank passes the wife test, I would eventually, after a lot of research, like to grow fish and plants to eat year round. I'm already thinking that I will need to have some sort of climate controlled facility for this task and possibly a winter fish species and a summer fish species. But would like some insight from someone in the area, someone is my same conditions, or just someone with a ton of experience willing to share some knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement