All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Aug 29th, '18, 15:55 

Are you human?: yes
I’m hoping to finally get started on an AP system here in N.E. Thailand and hoping for a mentor or three to answer a few basic questions that will sure to get more complicated as time progresses.

I’ve got a bit of land I live on with an established pond of about 35,000 cubic meters of water that supports Tilapia as well as other native species of fish, turtles, snails, glass shrimp along with a variety of aquatic plants.

First and foremost: Can I integrate the existing pond into any type of system rather that setting up a separate breeding tank assuming the water test come back favorable?

I’d like to be able to pump it from the pond and run the overflow from the beds back and eliminate sump needs.

There are occasional power outages from a few minutes to a day or two, so I’ll have to address that problem in the build.

Any support will be greatly appreciated and if this topic has already been asked, please direct me there, as the searches I’ve made have come up blank.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Attachments:
20180829_141732 small.jpg
20180829_141732 small.jpg [ 261.12 KiB | Viewed 772 times ]
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 29th, '18, 20:14 
Legend Member
Legend Member

dang mate my heart bleeds for your poverty lifestyle.. :D

Power wise Id suggest Solar but where, how in Thailand I have no idea

I am sure we have a few members in Thailand hopefully they see your post.

PostPosted: Aug 29th, '18, 20:19 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Yes
Main issue is levels of nutrient in the water , or lack of (No nutrients no plant growth) , so some water tests would be a good start.

Can you "Fence off" a section of your pond say with a cut off rainwater tank (no bottom) put some fish in there and pump and return to this enclosure to lift nutrient levels , this way you don't have to supplement the entire pond to get strong plant growth. As water is used by plants replacement water would just seep underneath into enclosure.

If you just grow greens you don't need the nutrient base that you would need to grow plants like tomatoes.

I would love to have a pond like that.

PostPosted: Aug 29th, '18, 20:55 

Tonzz wrote:
dang mate my heart bleeds for your poverty lifestyle.. :D

Power wise Id suggest Solar but where, how in Thailand I have no idea

I am sure we have a few members in Thailand hopefully they see your post.

I appreciate your sympathy, really. Tough life here on the farm.
Solar's not really an option here but a costly generator is.
My thoughts were to lift a tank above any grow beds and utilize Newton's discovery if needed.
Still pondering the thought but I'm more concerned about using the pond as a source first.
Baby steps..

Thanks for the return note..mate :wave:

PostPosted: Aug 29th, '18, 21:09 

Terra wrote:
Main issue is levels of nutrient in the water , or lack of (No nutrients no plant growth) , so some water tests would be a good start.

Can you "Fence off" a section of your pond say with a cut off rainwater tank (no bottom) put some fish in there and pump and return to this enclosure to lift nutrient levels , this way you don't have to supplement the entire pond to get strong plant growth. As water is used by plants replacement water would just seep underneath into enclosure.

If you just grow greens you don't need the nutrient base that you would need to grow plants like tomatoes.

I would love to have a pond like that.

First off, I'd like NOT to be limited to just greens in case I decide to go at this on a large scale, but may have to based on water tests.

Interesting idea about a pond/sump within a pond however..I've got about a 45 degree slope at grade to roughly 4 to 4.5 meters deep with a dry season water loss at about 1 meter average.

That being said, it would need to be imbedded on the sloped side wall somehow so I could get to it and I don't think that's doable.

I've ordered additional testing equptment for the water and look forward to the results.

The pic you see only about 60% as it makes a right turn along the other side of the house. L shape if you will.

Thanks for the feedback my friend, hope to get more and can provide additional data as I get it.

PostPosted: Sep 22nd, '18, 17:39 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Occasionally
Hi Imd8ta, that is a lovely pond and every fisherman's dream to have at their back door, but if you want an AQ set up, then set up an AP system along the side. Keep pond water as top up and temp control if required, but otherwise, I'd keep it as a separate system. This way, you will keep the nutrients cycling through to the plants, maximising growth.
Solar not an option? Is this because of overcast skies in the wet season, or because of a lack of suppliers?
If the latter, if you send me an email, I can recommend a few good reasonably priced eBay examples of equipment that I've found work well. There is also plenty of help available here if you need it.