All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: WHITE WORMS IN GROW BEDS
PostPosted: Jun 30th, '20, 07:18 

Are you human?: yes
HEY GUYS! FIRST OF ALL I WANT TO THANK ALL OF YOU, THIS IS A GREAT FORUM.

IM NEW IN THE FORUM, YOU'VE ALL HELPED ME OUT SO MANY TIMES ON SO MANY SUBJECTS BUT IVE NEVER HAD TO UPLOAD A POST COUSE I ALWAYS FIND THE ANSWER IN PREVIOUS POSTS. UNFORTUNATELY I CANT SEEM TO FIND AN ANSWER TO THIS PROBLEM:

I'VE BEEN RUNNING MY BACKYARD SYSTEM FOR 3 MONTHS NOW (SINCE QUARANTINE STARTED) AND EVERYDAY I CHECK EVERYTHING. TODAY I FOUND THESE LITTLE VISITORS IN ONE OF MY GROW BEDS. THESE WHITE WORMS (3MM L0NG) LIVE/SWIM IN THE SURFACE AND MOVE LIKE WATER SNAKES. THE FUNNY THING IS THAT I ONLY SEE THEM IN ONE OF THREE BEDS EVEN THOUGH THE 3 OF THEM ARE BEING 'FED' BY THE SAME WATER PIPE FROM THE WATER TANK.

I'VE READ SOMETHING ABOUT NEMATODES BUT I DONT THINK I CAN RELATE.

IM RUNNING A BASIC FLOOD AND DRAIN SYSTEM WITH 30 3"ish TILAPIAS.

HOPE YOU GUYS CAN HELP ME OUT HERE.

STAY SAFE. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Attachments:
File comment: THESE ARE MY GROW BEDS (THE MIDDLE ONE IS THE "INFECTED")
GROW BEDS.png
GROW BEDS.png [ 443.42 KiB | Viewed 1838 times ]
File comment: THEY CAN BE SEEN IN THE WATER OF THE BELL SYPHON AREA.
WORMS.png
WORMS.png [ 216.67 KiB | Viewed 1838 times ]
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Jul 3rd, '20, 00:34 

Are you human?: YES
I'm not sure what you've got there but if those are nematodes (or something other than that) I wouldn't do anything about them if there is no evidence that they are harming the system, plants or you. AP systems are biological systems - there will be a lot of organisms, many that we have no idea exactly what they are or what they are doing in the system. FWIW most nematodes when found in soil are beneficial, only some aren't - I would expect the same for those in an AP system.

There may be some lab in your location that could ID them for you and specifically tell you if they are a problem or threat of some kind. Sometimes these services are free or at reduced cost and it might be worth doing this, I don't know.

The point about them only being in one grow bed probably has to do with how they were introduced into the system. Maybe you added a plant to that bed that had them or the wind or an animal brought them in, something along those lines would only affect the one bed, although, they may spread to other beds later.